New and clueless

Harleycamaro

Seedling
Reaction score
Hello, all.

I'm getting my hands on a Korean Maple (foot or so tall) and thought maybe there was a chance I could do the "Bonsai thing". So, I signed up here and hope to make a go of it. I've always been intrigued by them so I'm ready to study and learn what I can.

Oh, I'm in Minnesota, but want to raise it inside.

justBonsai

Omono
Reaction score
Growing bonsai indoors in general can be much more difficult than growing outdoors. You have to consider the lack of humidity, light levels, and much more. For maples at least I haven't heard of them being adaptable to indoor growing. If you're interested in growing bonsai indoors look to tropical species--ficus for example can still grow very well in indoor conditions.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Welcome.
Another nice indoor species is Brazilian Rain tree. They do like to be outside in the summer, but mine is easy inside in the winter. Please try a ficus first, so you can learn care on a pretty indestructible type of plant, less frustrating than what you are attempting to want to do with a maple. It would be great if you could put your location in your profile, so people will be able to see that when they give advice to you.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's like driving a Harley in the house.....

You CAN do it......

But the EXPERIENCE is outside!

Well hold on....it would be an experience wouldn't it? Inside!

No reason you can't build yourself a nice display area inside....
And show it off to company a couple days at a time!

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

Alain

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Welcome!

I agree with the rest of the group: maple have to be outside otherwise you'll never have any syrup :)
(just kidding, for the syrup part, not for the outside one ;) )

Harleycamaro

Seedling
Reaction score
Thanks everyone!! Well, I love maples and it'll make a great addition to the yard. I'll start researching and shopping ficus!

Harleycamaro

Seedling
Reaction score
Okay, one more quick request...the best place or site to shop for one. I'm rural so I can't run down to the ficus-r-us store. Is there a resource on here I should be looking at? Thanks again, I'm really looking forward to getting started!

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Where do you live? If you put your location (city and state, or county and state) in your profile, it makes it easier for people to make recommendations...

Additionally, if you click on a location in a person's profile... it will show you a map of the city and state :)

Harleycamaro

Seedling
Reaction score
West central MN.
Where do you live? If you put your location (city and state, or county and state) in your profile, it makes it easier for people to make recommendations...

Additionally, if you click on a location in a person's profile... it will show you a map of the city and state :)

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I'm sure others will have suggestions, but Miami Tropical Bonsai has a ton of tropicals...

If you are targeting ficus, stay away from ginseng ficus (because of the tuberous roots). All other ficus will work well... that's why you see them in so many doctors' offices and shopping malls!

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Welcome to the forum.

Korean maple, is a common name, there are several species from Korea, but most likely the plant you have is Acer pseudosieboldianum. The "true" to type form of Acer pseudosieboldianum will have no hairs on the underside of its leaves. It hybridizes easily with Japanese maple, many of the nursery trade plants are actually hybrids. Good news is Acer pseudosieboldianum is more winter hardy than any of the Japanese maples, and this trait is passed on into its hybrids. It is hardy through USDA growing zone 4, (-25 F or to -31 C). You will not have to bring it indoors for winter, it will be hardy in your backyard. If you are in zone 3, you can add protection, by making sure it is buried in the snow, or in a window well, or in a unheated garage that stays a little warmer than outside. Always winter maples outdoors, move them to a shady spot for the winter. Winter sun is what causes frost cracks and winter die back. Sun warms & dries out the branches while the roots are frozen and can not move water back into the branches.

Bonsai techniques are more or less identical to bonsai techniques for Japanese maples. Korean maple has bark that is thinner than Japanese maple, keep that in mind when doing any wiring. The leaves are on the larger side, this one will work better for bonsai designs between 18 and 36 inches tall. The leaves will reduce, but not to the tiny sizes some Japanese maples are capable of.

So your Korean maple is a good outdoor choice for your area, who ever offered you the plant knew something about plants and or bonsai.

Now as to indoor bonsai, obviously maple "ain't it". But there are many, many good species for indoor in winter and outdoors for summer bonsai. There are also a smaller number of species that are "do-able" indoors year round. Ficus is one of the few that is a good year round indoor bonsai.

For indoors, look at your windows where you could grow them. Big, unobstructed south windows would let you grow a number of sun loving species. Really large unobstructed north windows can work too. East and west windows are good, if large an un-obstructed. Keep track of how many hours of direct sun the windows get. You will need 6 or more hours of direct light for moderate to high light species. Less than 5 hours, and you will have to limit your choices to shade loving species. Also your indoor temperatures make a difference. If you keep your home heated above 70 F all winter, your Ficus will probably keep growing. If your temperatures are cooler, or it is cooler on your windowsill, then most tropicals like Ficus will sit dormant, or semi dormant all winter.

Some suggestions,
For shade or part sun
Ficus, including ficus microcarpa (Green Island, & Tiger bark figs) Ficus pumila - a creeping dwarf fig, Ficus buxafolia - box leaved fig, Ficus salicaria - willow leaf fig, Ficus benjamina - Benjamin fig, there are others, I forget scientific names, Mistletoe fig, and others.

For the sunny windows in winter - outdoors for summer.
Ficus carica - the edible culinary fig, Bouganvillea, Pomegranate, Eugenia (tropical brush cherries), Malpighia (unrelated to Eugenia, also called bush cherry or Acerola), Fukien tea - Caramona, Florist's azalea (Rhododendron simsii hybrids, more tropical than most azaleas), Jaboticaba (a different member of Eugenia), and there are dozens of other species that will work. Brazilian rain tree was a good suggestion too. Citrus will work, but as bonsai, they need a good 40 to 70 years to make a believable bonsai. But an artistically train citrus in a pot is fun, even if it isn't "classic bonsai". None of the pines will do well indoors, only Juniper procumbens will survive indoors - with difficulty, though some have done it successfully. Juniper indoors is not a "beginner" challenge, it takes advanced hort skills.

Most of the sun lovers will benefit from summers outdoors in full sun, but if your window is very bright, it might be possible to do some of these indoors all year round. I have a Bouganvillea in a very bright spot in my light garden, it blooms twice a year for me and it has been indoors since day one in my care, about 8 years now. So some of these can be grown indoors year round. A well designed light garden that is bright enough to do tomatoes, peppers and other vegetables, is bright enough for sun loving indoor bonsai.

Well, hope this gives you a start. Sources, too many to list, and it depends what you are looking for. Wigert's for ficus, Evergreen Garden Works for a wide array, mostly outdoor, but they do have a few for indoors, like Luma, https://www.evergreengardenworks.com/

Top Bottom