New and clueless

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Harleycamaro
Do you want to grow it inside because you want to limit yourself to Tropicals?

Or do you have no space outdoors..?

I don't know why we are jamming ficus up your tailpipe....

It seems we have not even explored the OUTSIDE experience for you....

A lot of people "want" to raise them indoors.....until they realize bonsai are just trees....and they go outside....

Forgive me....it's just odd.....

If your name was, Moped Smartcar......

If be all for suggesting indoor ficus.
Dainty little, slow growing beautys.

HarleyCamaro suggests more of a Big ass gnarly thick barked conifer.
Or a toddler sized Amur Maple,
A wicked Larch forest.....
Maybe a giant Bald Cypress....

Somehow I feel this is selling you short....
Like owning a Harley to only ride it down the block to the cornerstore.....
WTF?

Again....while I must admit.....riding in the house may be of some crazy enjoyment....

I don't feel you are seeking that pleasure....

How fucked up is it that we go on and on about indoor trees....
It's like we haven't checked our Blind Spot, and Fuck those people you feel me?

Sorce

Harleycamaro

Seedling
Reaction score
Well, in a nutshell, I have a ton of interests and irons in the fire and I'm just looking for a lil buddy that doesn't crap on the floor, shed, leak, or talk back... more of a little something I can tend to at home or in the office. I'm starting to see how so many different "things" play into this including personality. I'm an odd duck as I've been in a combat zone, worked K9, done taxidermy, currently airbrush, love horsepower, a good fight (not picking one - but hate bullies) and always on the go but also need something a few gears down. I have several hundred acres I could mess with for the outdoors so there's no shortage of trees but I'm looking for an indoor buddy. Once I start to figure out the pruning and shaping etc I could see messing with some established trees outside.

I must say I've gone from thinking a bonsai tree was simply a specific breed that you bought and never touched to learning its a whole other world. I'm looking forward to it. Oh, Sorce, back in the late 80's in Colorado I did have a Harley inside my second floor apartment and would start it once in a while but your right, it wasn't the experience I was looking for!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
experience

I went through that understanding, or rather, misunderstanding myself, and I refuse to lose sight of it, because understanding this drastic learning curve is very important to help people starting out.

I like to think that's what we're here for...
That and dickin around!

That Said....now we understand your goals and position on This much better.
Actually, now in detail enough to begin giving advice IMO.

In which case....there's no reason not to have a Giant ass Bitchin Ficus that looks like you could crawl up into it, and pee back down on the leaker!
Unless the leaker is your oil pan, in which case, I thought you were referring to a dog! Lol.

Or something small enough to fit in a saddlebag. (cuz I don't want to keep stereotyping your needs but can't help but do it one more time!)

I thought someone turned you on to Jerry, but it seems they haven't..
http://www.bonsaihunk.us/

A tropical north can be had!

Sorce

CWTurner

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have several hundred acres I could mess with for the outdoors
If you have some cash(or the skill to start them from seed), you could plant a bunch of black pine and elms out there and forget about them. If the bonsai hobby sticks, in 5 years or so you'll be happy that you did.
I must say I've gone from thinking a bonsai tree was simply a specific breed that you bought
My brother-in-law visited with us for the first time since I got into bonsai and when he heard that I did, he wanted to see examples. I showed him some ficus and other tropicals, then took him outside and he saw some bare deciduous trees and said "That's not bonsai". Then I showed him a little shimpaku and he said "That's bonsai!" He'd only seem bonsai at the malls.
CW

Top Bottom