New Azalea Not Looking Too Hot

bunjin

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
You are fortunate it only partially wilted. Your care plan seems appropriate as it should recover without too much intervention. I would maybe use a little Superthrive, but even that is optional. BTW many of the Satsukis on eBay are not Satsukis. Good Luck

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
good luck. your location reminds me of the panhandle florida cypress hunters on AxMen. yeeyee

roberthu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B

Yes, those leaves show chlorosis. The product Forsoothe recommends contains the chelated iron. That means it has a molecule that binds iron ions contained inside. Do you know in what kind of potting mix it was originally in? Since it was slip potted, if that pH is too high, the iron supplementation will help with the chlorosis. Not doing anything to address the chlorosis may not solve that issue because it was slip potted and the roots are still in the old soil. Probably a good decision to slip pot it. But the cause of the chlorosis is likely the old soil mix.

I don't follow the idea that doing something that is generally good for a plant, namely fertilzing, will kick-start a struggling plant. I believe in creating a low stress environment for a struggling plant. And removing the causes as for why it is doing bad.
It was in almost 100% peat moss. Holds a lot of water as expected. I am hoping the Kanuma will absorb some of the water from the peat moss to balance the water/oxygen ratio. If it was 3 months ago I would have repotted it. But now is just too late and hot.

roberthu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
You are fortunate it only partially wilted. Your care plan seems appropriate as it should recover without too much intervention. I would maybe use a little Superthrive, but even that is optional. BTW many of the Satsukis on eBay are not Satsukis. Good Luck
Satsuki or not isn’t really important to me. I like the color of the flower the listing showed.

thank you for chime in!

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I potted it in a bigger 8” plastic grow pot and filled the empty space with Kanuma. It came with 100% peat moss and the root ball was pretty small. Didn’t even fill that pot it came in
What also is very important, and very much over looked is pot size...especially to a plant in your case that is under stress. Using a to big pot actually has a negative influence on the growth/recovery rate.
With a azalea it's even more important. Using the 'smallest' pot with 'enough' space for root growth is much more productive, and will stimulate growth faster.

roberthu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
This little guy is recovering nicely. Leaves are turning dark green now. Even sent a flower out a week ago. Got swamped with work and haven’t had time to take a photo. But I will snap one tomorrow.

armetisius

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Personally, I would plant that tree out in the ground for at least a couple of seasons.
You said it was in peat moss; so, placing it in the coarse soil mix you listed is only a
recipe for more stress on the plant and probable death. However it is not in any shape
to be bare-rooted and potted up. Plant it out, let it recover and do a full potting in a
year or so.

roberthu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Here it is. Didn’t get a chance to take photo until it’s dark outside. The leaves are dark green and glossy. Looks pretty good time.

Attachments

• 5B2CF1E9-6FFF-48F2-967D-FD8A6B17B19B.jpeg
    5B2CF1E9-6FFF-48F2-967D-FD8A6B17B19B.jpeg
    237.5 KB · Views: 16
  • 23C08E98-F114-4E46-8151-F82366597D9A.jpeg
    23C08E98-F114-4E46-8151-F82366597D9A.jpeg
    220 KB · Views: 18
  • 1171243D-6A55-414D-9FC5-17C5C69C8965.jpeg
    1171243D-6A55-414D-9FC5-17C5C69C8965.jpeg
    234.8 KB · Views: 16
Top Bottom