New azalea project

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Just got these 2 beasty azaleas at the nursery.
Gonna let them flower next year then start the styling up . Looking forward to the display on these next year 😀

Attachments

• 20210822_095911.jpg
    20210822_095911.jpg
    260.4 KB · Views: 36
  • 20210822_095822.jpg
    20210822_095822.jpg
    313.1 KB · Views: 36
  • 20210822_095918.jpg
    20210822_095918.jpg
    208.8 KB · Views: 34

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Any ideas what you want to create with these? A bush in a pot covered with flowers? A tree shape?
The reason for asking is it takes many years for azalea trunks to thicken so don't hold your breath waiting for the second choice. Azaleas are one of the few species that can make a stunning display on a relatively thin trunk so the first option is not as bad as it first appears.
I can see lots of stems coming out of the soil. That's common with azaleas. I see in other threads that it is common practice in the US for azalea production nurseries to pot up 2 or 3 cuttings in each pot for a quicker saleable plant and it looks like you may have a similar plant. It is also quite common for azaleas to sucker from the base of the trunk as they are basal dominant plants. That can give a similar plant with lots of stems coming from below ground or really low on the trunk. It will be interesting to see what you really have in those pots. Most of the stems will probably have roots by now as they root really quickly when in contact with soil. You may be able to split off any unwanted stems and make new plants. Even just a few wispy little roots is enough for a cutting to survive after removal.

Early azaleas are just starting to bloom down here but you'll have to wait all winter to see these.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Oh I'm just gonna let them bloom next spring , might even just leave one as a shrub . Just gonna see what happens at the time . I've already got a few azalea I've started styling and took over 60 cuttings from so I'm gonna see what I learn from them ones before I start on these ones.
It looks to me like one plant per pot without poking too far .
All in good time my friend

QuantumSparky

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I'm a sucker for azaleas with single trunks but the great thing is, that when they are flowering they look great regardless! I just bought another one that I'm going to attempt a semi-cascade with :) These trees are addicting!

DonovanC

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Just got these 2 beasty azaleas at the nursery.
Gonna let them flower next year then start the styling up . Looking forward to the display on these next year 😀
Nice, looking forward to future updates 👍

Top Bottom