New Azalea.... What yall think?

buffrider

Mame
Reaction score
Won this in the raffle on monday's club meeting.... I only put in $5 worth of tickets.... lol.
So what do yall think of it?

Attachments

• Azalea Twin Trunk 1.jpg
    Azalea Twin Trunk 1.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 327

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks like a great start, just need to shorten one of the slingshot-arms, and also change the front, so that one arm grows towards the back, anywhere between 1 o'clock and 2 o'clock.
Very healthy, which is important when growing azaleas (weak azalea=dead azalea).

The leaves seem to be large, or is it just a small tree, which creates that impression?

Last edited:

buffrider

Mame
Reaction score
The leaves seem to be large, or is it just a small tree, which creates that impression?

well this isnt a satsuki.... I was told the flower is a bright reddish pink. cant wait to see it in full flower.

Dan W.

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice Azalea! I saw several much smaller than this at Brussels alst year, all for over $100! You got a steal!

Jason

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think it's worth more than $5. Good score.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Have fun with this. Many azalea other than Satsuki do well as bonsai.

I'd suggest you pull the foliage in closer to the trunk, maybe by about half. I'd also get rid of the aerial root!

Harunobu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Obvioiusly a low price. The picture is too small for me to see if I can see what species it may be based on. Maybe R.kaempferi.

I would give it a larger pot. As you may know azalea can backbud like crazy. Maybe repot and let it grow wild, while being careful that no branches get too thick. Then the next year cut back to the first pair of leaves except for the apex.

If you want to remove the flower buds you should do so right now. With some skill you will find you can push them and make them snap off without damaging the leaf that will be right at the base of the bud.

logan3

Yamadori
Reaction score
Nice score,I always buy raffle tickets at our club meetings.It's a way of supporting the club and I've gotten some really nice material over the years.

Top Bottom