New baby JBP

bonsai-max

Shohin
Reaction score
Hi there,

my wife was back from the garden shop with a small JBP as a present.
I am still learning how keep well pines and at the moment I have 2 Scotts Pines and a BAP ( the austrian black Pine ), can you suggest the first step to do ?
During the we I will but in a bigger round pot (around 25 30 cm diameter) with Pumice and Akadama to let him grow.
I would keep the lower branch as a sacrifice one......
What I have to do extra ? Needle removing? start to wiring ? The soil looks good, should I take out the roots and work the nebari?

This is what I want to achieve ( or something similar :) )

giapponese-di-pino-nero-bonsai-sul-display-t1cy7r.jpg

That's the plant

20221110_084624.jpg20221110_084659.jpg20221110_084636.jpg20221110_084641.jpg

Thank you so much....

Last edited:

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Before we can give any advice about what to do and when we'll need a location. Obviously things are done in different months depending on which part of the world you're in.

Leave all needles intact for now. They help feed yours seedling so it can grow. Removing needles will slow down growth. Needle reduction and candle removal are maintenance techniques used on trees that are closer to finished size.

Try not to see the current trunk as the future trunk. Trunk taper is usually achieved by pruning the main trunk and allowing a side branch to take over so those small low shoots are important but possibly not as sacrifice branches.

bonsai-max

Shohin
Reaction score
Hi, yes sorry, I live in Basel Switzerland. So north European climate, but not so cold except a couple of weeks.

ShimpakuBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
At this moment I would only put a piece of wire around the trunk to put some movement in it.
Repotting can be done in spring 2023 and let it grow for a few years.

bonsai-max

Shohin
Reaction score
I was thinking to do a false repot just for have a bigger pot and protect him from the freeze.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Repot into a colander with good draining soil when it is your spring. Wire Movement into the trunk at that time. Then just feed it and let it grow to help it bulk up. It will take some time.

bonsai-max

Shohin
Reaction score
Normally I use round plastic pot of 30x11cm diameter and I use pumice 5/8mm and akadama 2/4mm, 70/30 % it's ok ?

I have finished Kiryu and it's not easy to find here

3882676_001.jpg

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Normally I use round plastic pot of 30x11cm diameter and I use pumice 5/8mm and akadama 2/4mm, 70/30 % it's ok ?

View attachment 462386
Soil is a personal preference. If what you have works for you than great. I personally use akadama, pumice and lava in equal parts for pines. As for the pot, everyone has their own opinions. I prefer colanders because it allows the roots to escape And I sometimes use double colanders

Srt8madness

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Pines in rapid development don't need to be in 100% inorganic IMO, they have different requirements. That's why they're often grown in the ground. The techniques of root restriction from a small pot and akadama are contrary to the goal of developing girth.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Beginning: Repot late Winter just before growth starts, NOT Fall time. Roots need time(months)to reestablish before Winter cold unless can be kept from dropping below 40F until Spring. Do not wire over needles, only on bare wood. Do not do both at same time. Roots also need reestablish time(6-12 months)before manhandling tree doing wiring. Trunk needs larger grow container to develop bigger woodier physique when re pot done. Also best trunk growth comes from growing apical sacrifice instead of lower branch. Tree is only baby and can become anything🥳.

Last edited:

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Trunk needs larger grow container to develop bigger woodier physique when re pot done. Also best trunk growth comes from growing apical sacrifice instead of lower branch. Tree is only baby and can become anything

Agreed. Don't get too attached to any particular style yet. Let it grow. Trees in growth change so much from year to year. Make decisions based on what you have when the trunk is thickened.

As for the rest, depends entirely on local climate. I routinely pot and wire at the same time, especially with young seedlings and/or wire a few months after repotting.
From experience, wiring over needles looks ugly but does not seem to do any harm.

bonsai-max

Shohin
Reaction score
Ok, will leave untouched. Just one question, here the winter is not so cold but a couple of weeks normally in January or February the temperature could drop until -15 C° for some days. I have under the roof a not heated room that is always around 2- 10 c° in winter, with a nice window. Should I bring there the plants ? I have fear only for the small one with the small soil to protect the roots

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
PLEASE add location to profile. This alone generates best growing advice. Unless in colder zone than about 7 tree "Should" be OK exposed to rain, etc outdoors😉.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone

View attachment 462386
Personally do not like plastic. Prefer breathability of terra cotta "bulb pan(pot)" rougly same relative configuration 1/2 depth of width..

bonsai-max

Shohin
Reaction score
Personally do not like plastic. Prefer breathability of terra cotta "bulb pan(pot)" rougly same relative configuration 1/2 depth of width..
I will do the repot in spring, now they are in the small growing pot, this is the reason because I have concern for the winter .

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If meaning to bring into warm house for few weeks could be really bad idea. If tree begins Spring awakening too early could be fatal to move back outside:oops:.

bonsai-max

Shohin
Reaction score
Yes, but the room is without eating and in winter the temperature will be min 8 max 10 13 C° or even lower. I don't think the temperature is enough to awake the plant

Top Bottom