New Bald Cypress....

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Hey everyone.

Went to my local Merrifield Nursery today, if anyone knows what that is. It is a major nursery in several different states. Anyway, they are pretty overpriced. They also have a small "bonsai" section, which has just about everything. While perusing their "bonsai" section, I found this little Bald Cypress. Now, before you go and blow my head off, I get excited when I see Bald Cypress. They aren't in nurseries around here. I figured I would simply either put this into the ground, or a growing box. What do you guys think? Remember, don't kill me :p

001-25.jpg

003-23.jpg

005-19.jpg

P.S. I have a pond, but you all wouldn't suggest growing this in the pond, or would you?

Ryan

Zach Smith

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey everyone.

Went to my local Merrifield Nursery today, if anyone knows what that is. It is a major nursery in several different states. Anyway, they are pretty overpriced. They also have a small "bonsai" section, which has just about everything. While perusing their "bonsai" section, I found this little Bald Cypress. Now, before you go and blow my head off, I get excited when I see Bald Cypress. They aren't in nurseries around here. I figured I would simply either put this into the ground, or a growing box. What do you guys think? Remember, don't kill me :p

001-25.jpg

003-23.jpg

005-19.jpg

P.S. I have a pond, but you all wouldn't suggest growing this in the pond, or would you?

Ryan

Put it in the pond and let it grow. After a few years, chop it back and let it grow some more. By keeping its feet wet, you'll encourage the buttressing we all prize in our bald cypresses.

Zach

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
They ARE in nurseries around here. Thing is, you're shopping the wrong way. Tiny bonsai boundmaterial like this IS rare (and expensive for what it is). You have to think bigger (and more money, unfortunately--unless you're willing to wait five years or so for stuff like this to grow out in the ground--and it will take that long or longer to get a decent trunk that's worth making into a bonsai)

Older, more established nurseries are the most likely sources for this species, as the "fast food" nurseries like Meadows Farms deal in more familiar and saleable species.

Try Behnkes up in Maryland:
http://behnkes.com/website/

Campbell and Ferarra ha some in photos on its web site:

http://www.campbellferrara.com/photo_gallery/trees_shrubs.html

If you put this in your pond, I would remove it come Nov. Ice will girdle that thin trunk pretty quickly and kill your tree. Ice girdling of seedlings and saplings is a primary reason this species is limited to the S.E. states and becomes only a coastal species up into Delaware.

Last edited:

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Thanks you both!

Rock, I knew you would come along and tell me they're around here somewhere :) but I just cannot travel to Maryland right now, so I'm only restricted to upper NoVA. Thank you though.

When would you recommend me doing this? Should I put it into pond soil (that weird rock, turfacey stuff), or put it into regular soil?

Thanks!

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'd slip pot it into a container two thirds larger than the one it is in now. I'd place that pot in the pond so it's only one third submerged, or better yet, placed so the bottom of the pot is just wet...Which will allow the pot soil to wick up the water, instead of complete submersion. BC don't prefer being completely submerged, as much as they tolerate it. Constant Access to water is preferable to complete submersion...

Stay away from the "turfacey stuff." Regular soil for BC would be 2/3 organic components and can include potting soil, with 1/3 Turface or haydite. You want a soil that retains more water than "regular bonsai soil."

FrankP999

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I attended a B.C. workshop with Gary Marchall last weekend. Gary is from New Orleans and well known expert in bald cypress. He now lives in the Atlanta area. He recommended fir bark+aggregate for soil and not putting the tree in water. For aggregate he suggested turface or lava or pumice - whatever you can locate easily.

Frank

gottrees

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
You might also look at Wolftrap Nursery in VA. They have bonsai and landscape plants. When I visit, I don't tend to buy the bonsai. I got a bald cypress in there landscape section a couple years ago that has a 4.5" trunk.

Ted

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wolf Trap's prices tend to be a bit on the high side, but they do tend to have more unusual stuff--their bonsai selection, however, isn't all that unusual. It's supplied through Meehan's Miniatures on consignment...

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Apparently that's where the nursery I got this from came from (Meehans). I went out and looked at the tree and the top was wilted. I have it in the shade. I gave it some water, but is there anything else I should do?

I put it in a saucer full of water. I don't think it is liking this heat here. Hopefully the saucer will give off more humidity....

Last edited:

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
And after I placed the saucer under the tree, it has already perked up. I think I will leave the tray there. Anyway, when should I repot this thing? Thanks!

gottrees

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Wolf Trap's prices tend to be a bit on the high side, but they do tend to have more unusual stuff--their bonsai selection, however, isn't all that unusual. It's supplied through Meehan's Miniatures on consignment...

I agree their prices are a bit high especially for the quality. I did not know it was on consignment from Meehans. The tree I got was a pretty good price for the size and thickness of the trunk. If it was at Behnkes it would have cost a lot more. If you go to Behnkes for a BC, expect to pay no less than $100 for a tree with a 2" diameter trunk at most. You also would not be able to see the nebari so it would be a crap shoot.

Ted

Top Bottom