New banyan style ficus.

edro

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just picked up this banyan style ficus. It desperately needs a repot and a good trimming/styling.
I just love the trunk. It appears to actually be 3 trees merged together. They all appear to be the same species.
I need to start pulling some branches down to give it a more triangular foliage pattern.
I also need to take a brush to the trunk. It has a good coating of algae on it.

Attachments

• ficus1.JPG
    ficus1.JPG
    104 KB · Views: 168
  • ficus2.JPG
    ficus2.JPG
    75.2 KB · Views: 123
  • ficus3.JPG
    ficus3.JPG
    105.4 KB · Views: 114
  • ficus4.JPG
    ficus4.JPG
    103.6 KB · Views: 100
Reaction score
I would happen to agree about it's potential...
looks like it was an import tree. I would be carefull with to hard of a brush, might need to use a toothbrush... other than that, just put it out in the sun... the sun will definitely take care of it.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Please don't fixate on a triangle shape. These should grow in more of an umbrella shape.

edro

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Did a vert to help determine where to graft or pull down side branches.
This photo was taken recently, right after watering. That explains the dark bark and diagonal white streak.

Now I just need to get a few thick side branches!

Attachments

• BanyanVert480.jpg
    BanyanVert480.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 97

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I agree with JKL on that, and you will find it difficult to pull those first branches down.

mat

Chumono
Reaction score
First - nice piece of material. I bet the roots are pretty solidly compacted in that pot, which is less a problem for Ficus than most other plants. It seems pretty healthy based on all the foliage. It will probably go nuts next summer in a new pot.

I have to agree with JKL and Bill and suggest that you go for a more rounded top. I'll also add that I think it would look better with a wider canopy than you show in your virt.

Just my 2 cents. Keep us posted.

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wow, thats a nice Ficus, it looks almost exactly like a microcarpa I used to own. Mine was trained to grow with a mushroom like canopy, flat at the branch line and rounded at the top. It was very sharp and failry unique as you do not often see them like that. It reminded me of trees I would see in those old Mutual of Omaha wildlife shows on the tube as a young man.

ed

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I was wondering if you had any follow up pictures, I would love to see what it looks like now.

ed

Top Bottom