New Basement Work Bench

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I usually stand up while working my trees.
I will set the turntable on a stack of milk crates or something and put the tree there.
I decided to upgrade my set-up and build a heavy duty standing height bench for working on trees....and anything else.
Gonna add some hooks for wire spools and other hanging things...

I'm no carpenter but I can build stuff strong....maybe a bit crude or rough around the edges, but functional.

Now, some of my trees will actually be too tall for me to reach the top when sitting on the 46" bench, so I'm considering a lower tier off to the left.
Message_1580003901888.jpgMessage_1580048629158.jpg

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Image result for legalize shemp image
....AND THIS STICKER!!! 😁 1f974[1].png

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Bogus thar was a gif, the elevator should move!

That would be dope right.

Just not pink.

Sorce

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Well, I did have a bit of wood left over from the work bench, plus some other random scrap peices in the garage.....and I had a bit of free time.....so I thought I would use my skateboard ramp carpentry skills (aka crap carpentry skills) to try to build a small Tokonoma in my basement.....and maybe some day I will create a tree worthy of displaying in it.

Here's the progress so far.....I ran out of wood for now.
Next step is to cut the hole through the paneling and the studs which is roughly 50" x 50" inches.
(I did consult a friend who does build houses professionally, to make sure that its safe to cut this wall. It is not load bearing.)
I don't have pics of the beginning, but I had to remove sheetrock and pegboard, plus a light switch, two receptacles and a light and the wiring. I plan to add lighting from the top of the Tokonoma in the end.
20200207_195108.jpgMessage_1581169263172.jpgMessage_1581171634876.jpg

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Rough cut the hole.
Gonna reinforce whats left of the studs with the sections I just cut out.
Next I'll have to make the shelf, or the bottom, then the walls, then the top with lights, then trim and paint.

I'm open to opinions on trim and paint color.
I was going to keep the trim simple, as not to stand out, but bamboo trim did cross my mind.
I'm planning on a very light sky blue, also considered light grey or off-white.
20200208_113802.jpg20200208_113823.jpg

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Nice! You plan to add some light up top? I see you have the best looking state flag in the corner, lol!

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Nice! You plan to add some light up top? I see you have the best looking state flag in the corner, lol!
It is by far the best-looking state flag, isn't it.
Lol!

Yep, I am planning on 2 lights, probably LEDs...but not too bright white.
Hopefully I'll be able to continue this weekend with the rest of the walls, then I'll do the lights and wiring, then the top.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Fully boxed in now and lit!
7.5 inch LED, gives me soft white, bright white, and daylight options, they all look the same in cell phone pics.
Next up, paint and trim.....though I'm really struggling with paint.....color, none....I dunno yet.....gotta ponder more.
20200214_171357.jpg

Gave my self a little shelf off the back too.
20200214_171037.jpg

Top Bottom