New beginner in Bonsai

Quabon

Seed
Reaction score
Have started new seedlings and after about 8 months later, 3 trees got replanted in small pots. Seemed to be doing ok, but recently the bottoms of trunks are starting to look brown and small branches at the bottom are turning brown. Help please!!

Can get photos if needed.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I think…..
You need to attach one or two photos. The photos will be really helpful. You won’t get much advice without a tree species identity. What kind of tree seedlings are you talking about,
And,
Add your location to your profile. A general area is fine. Along with your USDA zone number. That will help replies.

And….Welcome to here.

Quabon

Seed
Reaction score
Live in Cleveland Area 44011

Attachments

• 20211114_191721.jpg
    20211114_191721.jpg
    209.4 KB · Views: 57

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
I admire your documentation.
FWIW, those guys don’t need to be in bonsai pots. Although big enough for current stock, a larger nursery pot will aid in less repotting and more growth.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
What @Eckhoffw said.

Also, where are you keeping them? Very few pines will tolerate low light, so in the house is a bad idea, no matter how bright the window. (Though, I'm the last to say you shouldn't give it a hard try.)
My next thought is watering. Most pines don't tolerate wet feet either, so the soil should be all but dry before watering again.
After that is another question. When did you pot them, and how did you do it? Pines don't like bare feet either.

Bnana

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's nice to start Bonsai from seeds but it takes ages. Especially in a pot like this it will be very long before you have anything resembling a bonsai. I would suggest getting some nursery stock or an air-layer as well. Than you have a bit of trunk and can start thinking about a design.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Do pots have drainage?
Indoors or out? already sort of asked.
Add location info to profile rather than posting.

Wet feet kill trees. Indoors No No. Must have natural Sun for happy tree.;)

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Forty-four OH Eleven!

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Conifers inside is a sure-fire road to personal self loathing. After watching them slowly and endlessly deteriorate, you will come to doubt yourself and all you care for.

They look fine for now but should be outside in the elements.

I dont see any concerns with the trunks as you state. Also, your seedling have no "branches". The lower needles are turning brown which is common in all seedlings when they drop their cotyledon. I wouldnt worry about that as much as the environmental factors right now.

Wulfskaar

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
They look just fine to me. Better than mine the first 8 months, that's for sure. Make sure they get sun.

Top Bottom