New bench

Ryan H

Mame
Reaction score
Hi all,

Just made my first bench and thought it'd share a few pics. I started with the Norbury plan (the plan was a huge help, big ups to Jeremy). Those adjustable C clamps were my best friends. I ended up making it a bit more compact, just over 6ft long, the back shelf framing is roughly 10" in width. Also went with stud grade 2x6s instead of composite deck boards (mainly for price and the ease to work with).

I put a couple coats of bear deck stain and poly but am not completely sold on the way the tone turned out. Let me know what you think, may try something darker.

Anyway next step will be a drip system. Thoughts / suggestions welcome:)

IMG_1439.JPG IMG_1403.JPG IMG_1407.JPG IMG_1430.JPG IMG_1431.JPG IMG_1433.JPG IMG_1434.JPG IMG_1435.JPG

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Shelves are vastly too narrow, especially the upper shelves. Those shallow shelves won't allow room for back branching on even shohin sized trees.

Random User

Reaction score
Did you use Western Red Cedar?

CWTurner

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Nice job.
too narrow, especially the upper shelves
The narrower middle shelf might restrict the size tree you can place there, but I don't think it will matter on the top shelf.
I put a couple coats of bear deck stain and poly but am not completely sold on the way the tone turned out. Let me know what you think, may try something darker.
Soft wood takes stain unevenly and should be pre-treated with a conditioner. Too late now, especially since you have poly on it.
CW

Ryan H

Mame
Reaction score
Nice job.

The narrower middle shelf might restrict the size tree you can place there, but I don't think it will matter on the top shelf.
Soft wood takes stain unevenly and should be pre-treated with a conditioner. Too late now, especially since you have poly on it.
CW

Very true, definitely could've put a pre stain coat on but just opted for the easy quick pass with a sanding pad. Gonna see how the color weathers may refinish to something a bit darker as I'm not totally thrilled with it

AppleBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Nice work man! I always say I am going to do a project like this, then right when I think I have the time, it's time again to re-wire, re-pot, re-spray or re-prune! Oh yeah and don't forget to keep an eye out for new trees on the BNut, eBay & CL... Glad I don't have FB anymore!

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Very true, definitely could've put a pre stain coat on but just opted for the easy quick pass with a sanding pad. Gonna see how the color weathers may refinish to something a bit darker as I'm not totally thrilled with it

I use very old planks from barns as shelves. I stain them raw after a light sanding every year. I use Indigo stain one year, Dark Mahogany the second, and Thompsons All purpose the third year. I do the same sequence for the following years. Many of the boards have been used quite a few years now and have a Brindle tone to them most of the time and do not warp. I like that it leaves different tones where pots and plants sit and over the years looks classy to me anyways. :oops:

Grimmy

AppleBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I use very old planks from barns as shelves. I stain them raw after a light sanding every year. I use Indigo stain one year, Dark Mahogany the second, and Thompsons All purpose the third year. I do the same sequence for the following years. Many of the boards have been used quite a few years now and have a Brindle tone to them most of the time and do not warp. I like that it leaves different tones where pots and plants sit and over the years looks classy to me anyways. :oops:

Grimmy

The internet is full of people who brag about their wood and never post pics... ;):eek::rolleyes: ... But really though, would love to see your work!

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice job.

CW

Top shelf matters a lot. Put a tree up there that is slightly too large and hangs over the sides of the shelf, or worse, straddles the shelves and a good breeze will blow it right off...

Ryan H

Mame
Reaction score
What would be the issue if branches extend beyond where edges of the shelf if the pot is fully within the edges?

Ryan H

Mame
Reaction score

Grimmy
Totally agree!! I have some old adirondack chairs that I have refinished like that and I think they look awesome

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What would be the issue if branches extend beyond where edges of the shelf if the pot is fully within the edges?
None, but if the edges of the branches are inside the circumference of the pot, the pot is likely too small. Sounds like nit picking, but a shelf that narrow will safely hold only very small trees--which can be more mobile in the wind or if he shelf is jostled.

FWIW, first time shelves are almost ALWAYS too small. Build a few sets and you will learn the practicalities of building twice the size you need them. Same holds true for household shelves too...

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
But really though, would love to see your work!

Not really work, just how I finish shelves as I described...

First up some of the 3 1/2 inch 280year old barn timber, looks to be horse milled, finished as I described - leaving rough hewn is what I like -

IMG_0557.JPG

IMG_0555.JPG

Some stands made from 285 year old barn siding, they were made using a footstool Grandmother made in High School as the pattern, just modified in height. Finished as I described -

IMG_0558.JPG

I have more shelves but that explains what I am going for in finish on old reclaimed pieces ;)

Grimmy

Attachments

• IMG_0556.JPG
    IMG_0556.JPG
    557.7 KB · Views: 82

Random User

Reaction score
Just used a cedar stain on premium Douglas fir

Fir gets harder than hell after a few years, especially inside a building.

I got used to using these kits for all sorts or projects, but I use a modified version and Western Red Cedar so I don't have to maintain them.

Can get them for about $20.00 a box when they are on clearance... BUT they are not acceptable to most "bonsai ppl".

https://www.strongtie.com/miscellaneousconnectors_woodconnectors/wbsk_kit/p/wbsk

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
BUT they are not acceptable to most "bonsai ppl".

If you think about it - what is? :rolleyes: Point is I like using very old reclaimed woods and very simple design so that's what I do. What works for you and others is most times far more pro looking but hey we all have different taste. No worries to me - ever ;)

Grimmy

Last edited:

Random User

Reaction score
Don't get me wrong Grimmy, I wasn't criticizing you or anyone else what-so-ever.

Personally, I like fir. Like I said, it gets harder than hell, which makes it more acceptable to me for most purposes. The only bad part about using it once it's rock hard is that you have to pre-drill the wood for fasteners otherwise the risk of splitting increases dramatically.

"I" don't give a rats arse what other ppl think about what I do, try, or say... I hope everyone has the same view of me... I'm too friggin old for drama, and conforming to someone else's code. :p

Top Bottom