New bench

Bonsai901

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
So I finally got around to building a more permanent bench for my trees.
During and after building it I realized a lot that I would have done differently, but I am happy with the way it turned out and plan to make another soon with my lessons learned.
Anyway, here are some pics before I plumbed in the misters.

substratum

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
@Bonsai901 - The bench looks very nice. When you have time, now that you can look at the project in retrospect, would you share what you would have done differently, and why?

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Great job! Never satisfied! I am the same way! I like the color and the construction looks like it can hold the weight. Nice job.

Bonsai901

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
@Bonsai901 - The bench looks very nice. When you have time, now that you can look at the project in retrospect, would you share what you would have done differently, and why?
1. I would have used bolts and nuts instead of lag bolts for ease of assembly and aesthetics.
2. I would have done a better job with the shou sugi ban brushing. I didn’t brush until after it was assembled leaving areas that were hard to reach and the black ash will find you and cover you.
3. I would have plumbed it prior to nailing down the top slats. I had to turn into a contortionist to get everywhere I needed to be and this was another reason for number 2. I was black by the time I was done.
4. I will NEVER use salvaged lumber again! As a matter of fact, I will probably buy a planer before the next one. Any non-perfect boards will throw off the whole design, I spent additional hours attempting to straighten twisted wood with very little success.
5. I will probably use pine next time. This thing is insanely heavy and I want to be able to take one to the local club exhibitions.

That’s all I can think of without being able to look at it right now.

Top Bottom