New better Product on the market to replace Akadama

Sakadama

Sapling
Reaction score
The adress you did find is in America. Yes that is the same product. Antony is a re-seller in America and was very much involved in the development of Sakadama. Selling started there and in Africa. But now this product will be available all over the world.
I am sorry. I was answering very late last night after a long day. Wilow Bonsai is not in America. It is in South Africa. Sorry for the wrong information. Sakadama is exported also to another company wich is in America. Sorry for the mix-up. My bad.

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Scratch Northern Europe from the sales. With the winters we get here, this stuff is mud come spring.. Just like akadama.
Unless it can withstand 30 freeze-thaw cycles a year, for three years, it's not something I'd like to plant my trees in.
It's fired to 600C, you will be fine. This is a product like Turface, Monto Clay, Bonsai Block, etc... it will not break down.

Sakadama will not decompose as quickly as Akadama. That's one of the points making it a better product.
Read the bold test below.
Thank you for the detailed information. The one thing that makes akadama unique as a bonsai substrate is its tubular structure. This allows roots to penetrate the particles and activity decompose them into smaller particles, so they automatically scale to promote finer ramification. I’ve seen the photomicrographs, and the tubules aren’t symmetrical cylinders, they’re more like tunnels with flattened geometric cross-sections. When you say that Sakadama is equivalent, are you saying that it is an andosol and do you have photomicrographs of the structure?
I'm not a scientist, but Ryan Neill has given plenty of feedback provided by scientist that this is the main reason akadama is so good for refining trees. The product you advertise, while a good product for developing trees negate this capability. Yes there are many outstanding trees out there that have been created without akadama, but a lot of them needed the addition of some sort of organic material that scales down as akadama does.

So yes, akadama breaks down. I won't say it decompose, because it is not organic. The biggest problem some artist are encountering is that akadama tend to breakdown quicker with multiple freeze/thaw cycles. There are plenty of people using it, and re-using it after years in the pot in places that don't have hard freezes. I have seen reports from Ryan and David Cortizas of trees that had been in the pot for 3-5 years, sometimes more and the akadama in the lower half of the pot is still intact.

With that said, I am not saying your product is garbage. But I don't agree with touting it as a replacement for akadama, because it is not.

Sakadama

Sapling
Reaction score
It's fired to 600C, you will be fine. This is a product like Turface, Monto Clay, Bonsai Block, etc... it will not break down.

Read the bold test below.

I'm not a scientist, but Ryan Neill has given plenty of feedback provided by scientist that this is the main reason akadama is so good for refining trees. The product you advertise, while a good product for developing trees negate this capability. Yes there are many outstanding trees out there that have been created without akadama, but a lot of them needed the addition of some sort of organic material that scales down as akadama does.

So yes, akadama breaks down. I won't say it decompose, because it is not organic. The biggest problem some artist are encountering is that akadama tend to breakdown quicker with multiple freeze/thaw cycles. There are plenty of people using it, and re-using it after years in the pot in places that don't have hard freezes. I have seen reports from Ryan and David Cortizas of trees that had been in the pot for 3-5 years, sometimes more and the akadama in the lower half of the pot is still intact.

With that said, I am not saying your product is garbage. But I don't agree with touting it as a replacement for akadama, because it is not.
As I mentioned. It's almost identical soil. Both are vulcanic. Sakadama has 5% more iron, but you seem to be thinking it's a total different product as Akadama. It's not. In essence it's Akadama heated to 600 degrees, only from soil fron another country than Japan.

Katie0317

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
I also found it for sale on the Willow website in SA. It seems that many would try it if it were available in the US but it's not. It's interesting to know about but until it's available I have no reason to continue reading about it.

Thank you for sharing and I'll look forward to knowing when it's for sale in the U.S.

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
As I mentioned. It's almost identical soil. Both are vulcanic. Sakadama has 5% more iron, but you seem to be thinking it's a total different product as Akadama. It's not. In essence it's Akadama heated to 600 degrees, only from soil fron another country than Japan.
You are missing the point. You're taking a particle soil that its best quality is the ability to breakdown with the roots scaling its size and providing the water they need at that ratio and baking it. Yes it will hold water and nutrients, but it will provide the same amount of water and nutrients from the day you plant it till the day you repot the tree. This is the same thing that Turface, Monto Clay, Bonsai Block, etc... do. And this soils are available here locally, without having to pay extra for importing. And even then, the top artists in this country won't use them. You mention Bjorn as committing to the product... I'll wait to see what he has to say.

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Akadama, fired at 600C, would not be the same product as the akadama that is imported from Japan to be sold in bonsai supply stores. Firing it to such a high temperature would destroy the one thing about akadama that makes it special and worth paying what I pay for it: its ability to ramify the tiny feeder roots. The mechanism by which this happens is that the feeder roots infiltrate the akadama particles through microscopic pores, grow larger in girth until they mechanically break the host particle into smaller pieces, and new tiny feeder roots infiltrate those smaller akadama particles and the process repeats.

if you want your product to be an akadama replacement, don’t fire it to 600C. The akadama imported from Japan for use in bonsai is only fired to the nominal temperature required to kill pathogens. It’s not fired to anywhere near 600C. It is common to find a few intact twigs in a bag of akadama. This is because the firing temperature is lower than the decomposition temperature for the organic compounds in the wood.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Holds more water than akadama too and too much water retention is a big issue here. We can have six weeks of rain in the summer.. Even if it doesn't break down, I have a substrate sifted, packed, delivered and ready for 1 euro per liter. Akadama is way more expensive and proved to be problematic for my watering habits.

If this sakadama is cheaper than my current soil mix, I'm willing to give it a shot. But all things said and done, I haven't used akadama in 3 years so I don't really think people in my climate would buy a lot of sakadama.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes I joined today. I don't see why this would be a problem. I have joined because I am interested in Bonsai and I also wanted to ask what I have asked in my post. To answer your question. Yes this product is tested extensive, in the lab and in "the field" I would love to send you more info including photo's if you would give me your e-mailadress.
ALL your posts concern ginning up sales for your product...don't know if that's a problem or not. Up to the forum's owner.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
The question is will you disappear when the sales pitch is over........or........will you become an active participant of this forum?

Canada Bonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
Yes we have. As you contacted me I did send you an e-mail with info. It does include our lab testings. Also Sakadama has been tested "in the field" by Bonsai Experts.

I received your email, thank you. I am going to pass and, I have to say, mostly for reasons unrelated to the product itself.

Sakadama

Sapling
Reaction score
The question is will you disappear when the sales pitch is over........or........will you become an active participant of this forum?
That last one. I probably won't have very much to say for now as my knowledge of Bonsai is not that high, but reading here and getting info to learn about Bonsai is what I am planning on doing here.

Kadebe

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Scratch Northern Europe from the sales. With the winters we get here, this stuff is mud come spring.. Just like akadama.
Unless it can withstand 30 freeze-thaw cycles a year, for three years, it's not something I'd like to plant my trees in.
There's now a European replacement of akadama... it's called bardula and comes from Sardinia

Glaucus

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I am interested in the hardness discussion. Is it really true that if akadama or kanuma becomes so hard it can last in the pot for 6+ years without falling apart, that means it is also too hard for roots to grow into the particles, limiting root growth of the planet? I am really a bit skeptical here.

Isn't it the pores that allow roots to grow into the particles? And not the roots cracking the particles open?

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Andosol soils can occur where ever volcanoes exist. There is nothing "magical" about akadama, or kanuma. It is possible to find similar deposits through out the world. The Japanese deposits have been mined for centuries, and a few of the oldest individual mines are close to being depleted. There are plenty more locations in Japan, they won't run out entirely, but prices of akadama & kanuma will likely rise in the future as the cost of opening a new mine, versus expanding an existing mine will definitely be higher. Cost of opening a mine in the USA is pretty high too. Think the equipment needed to run a gravel quarry, plus the need to purchase the land the quarry will be sited upon.

Most of the cost of Akadama for non-Japanese users is transportation. It was cost that kept me from using it as I initially got into raising bonsai. I will be interested when SAkadama becomes available through Superfly (who is a member in good standing here) and Bjorn Bjornholm begin to make the product available. And any other USA or Canadian vendors who begin representing the product.

Turface and Monto clay are not similar to Akadama or Kanuma. Turface and Monto clays have significantly higher calcium contents. They are not equivalent.

I am glad @Sakadama has been posting, it is allowing us to consider a new product. When I get a chance to try some when I repot this spring, I will let people know my opinions and results. Right now, I am open to the idea of another growing media alternative.

In the near 50 years I have been growing bonsai, the single most revolutionary component that improved my growing was pumice. Once I discovered affordable sources of pumice, my bonsai improved dramatically. The second most radical improvement was the realization that a sieve, to sift your bonsai media was essential, and vastly improved the quality of any mix. Sorted to a uniform particle size, almost any material could be made useful for growing bonsai.

Akadama has certainly given me good results. Akadama-pumice blend is my current go to mix. I will be interested to try out SAkadama as it becomes available.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Gosh, lots of information here. Just to clarify part of the record. @Sakadama.

@Leo in N E Illinois is right on, there are other volcanic systems similar to Japan’s conditions. Likely Oregon as per the study above…. and also possibly other locations. Italy seems very likely... and more power to those folks if they find a good product.

The reason I keep getting from professionals out here for not mining in the US is that there isn’t a big enough market in the US to put on a mining operation in Oregon…. although I hear rumors leaking out of the Portland Club about a secret location to dig…?

Akadama is fired to 300C / 572F at the mine as part of the process of preparing it for market to dry the product. The site linked will help one learn about the process etc.

Akadama also comes in different hardness based upon the compression it was subjected to in its native soil. For example the Ibarak I double red line akadama is rated as hard, and the…

B9EAFA25-7D90-4739-AA9C-6BCF49BFA81D.jpeg

Hosen “King of Red Balls” akadama is markedly harder and marketed as such. Recommended to use for orchids too…!
756FE026-5F58-4349-A8D4-0936691C818E.jpeg

That said, I’m wondering about:

1. Whether firing akadama to twice the level will actually be an improvement, or a marketing scheme. Cranking the temperature up to 600C / 1112F is bound to begin the process of metamorphosis.

2. The conditions this is mined, including the workers.

3. The long term price point on shipping a product from South Africa to the US.

4. Where’s the field trial data on Sakadama?

cheers
DSD sends

Top Bottom