New better Product on the market to replace Akadama

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Hey now, didn’t your momma teach ya not to bring goodies to class unless you have enough to share with everyone? 😜

Stable supply is the issue with imported "dirt". Thankfully pumice is quarried in the USA. Periodically my local suppliers of Akadama and Kanuma run out. Importing from SA is not an ideal solution, but finding alternatives, and learning how to use them is key to sustainable sourcing for bonsai media.

In the past, I've used several different mixes, depending on availability. I keep ingredients on hand for several versions of bonsai media.

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Stable supply is the issue with imported "dirt". Thankfully pumice is quarried in the USA. Periodically my local suppliers of Akadama and Kanuma run out. Importing from SA is not an ideal solution, but finding alternatives, and learning how to use them is key to sustainable sourcing for bonsai media.

In the past, I've used several different mixes, depending on availability. I keep ingredients on hand for several versions of bonsai media.
That’s what I do , I don’t replace Akadama. I use US Pumice and US Black Lava. Hell I’ve even see versions of Kanuma and Lava for non azaelea

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
@Leo in N E Illinois I was watching a video from Bjorn and he said he used to get pumice from dirt cheap, like $5 a gallon or something stupid low like that. I guess that's in areas that have quarries around. We have plenty of quarries here but for rock, no pumice. I am buying it from Jonas, so far its the most cost effective I have found. There is one place online that was close to his price, but from the feedback I read you have to sift to size, which means buying a lot more than needed. I lost the bookmark for that place... found it one day at work and all my bookmarks got lost in an update they did.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Pumice is quarried in New Mexico, you're in Texas, not that far away, you should be able to get pumice cheap. Hit the marijuana grower supply shops.

Worst case, perlite is a fairly good substitute for pumice. Perlite is light and floats, but with a layer of long fiber moss to hold it down perlite works well.

A group from Milwaukee Bonsai Soc went in on a 5 pallet load of pumice, that is how I got mine. I still have a year or two worth left.

Bonsai clubs are great for networking and sourcing locally supplies

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
In a recent video Bjorn talks about getting a bunch of pots from Willow, rumor confirmed

Sakadama

Sapling
Reaction score
I have not been active on this thread for a while, since I figured better first have this product in home. Now I do!!!
Sakadama is in Holland, coming to Europe and I am proud to be able to co-facilitate this. The samples are in and ready to go. 😀

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2022-01-13 at 10.27.24.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-01-13 at 10.27.24.jpeg
    248.8 KB · Views: 84

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I have not been active on this thread for a while, since I figured better first have this product in home. Now I do!!!
Sakadama is in Holland, coming to Europe and I am proud to be able to co-facilitate this. The samples are in and ready to go. 😀

rad!!

roberthu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Any word on when it’s going to be available in the US?

Farwest

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Any word on when it’s going to be available in the US?

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Just for those folks that want to try “something different” and to pay exactly what I just paid for my last load of small grain akadama!

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Cheers
DSD sends

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Just for those folks that want to try “something different” and to pay exactly what I just paid for my last load of small grain akadama!

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Cheers
DSD sends
isn't this generally how people, artists, crafters and societies learn? Successes and failures, trying something different?

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Did you get a comparable amount? I don't know how much a bag of akadama weighs or how many liters you get out of one of these bags.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Just ordered a bag from Superfly. I'll let you know what my non professional, anecdotal tree response is in a couple years... just hang tight :)

R3x

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8?
I think whoever creates the next best thing to akadama and can cut the price down will be well off.
Well I use something I am even more satisfied with than Akadama. It's called Zeolite. Great cation exchange rate. Great water retention. Doesn't break up with time. Unbeatable price. The only downside is weight.

roberthu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Thank you! The price isn’t much better than akadama actually… hope they have a sale soon…

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
At its current price point, there’s zero chance of me even bothering to try it unless supply chain issues get so bad that I cannot source akadama.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I'm leery... The product seems realistic, but....

What mines do you think they are using.

Think about it.

I would think twice.. or request more information before supporting a South African Mining company, but that's ME.

Could be entirely legit..

There's a BUNCH of legitimate, ethically-run mining operations in Africa, right?

🤓

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
isn't this generally how people, artists, crafters and societies learn? Successes and failures, trying something different?
Yep it is.

That would be great as a side by side comparison over time with four to six similar sized trees in similar sized containers.

I actually wash/heat/sift and reuse the my media and find 1/3 to 1/2 of the akadama remains useable of size, So that should factor in. Is this product of the same durability as akadama over time?

Here’s images of media recovered from a big California Juniper tree that had been in the pot for 4 years. I just finished heating the lot. Yesterday I blended it into a 3:1:1 media for our new Mtn Hemlocks.

B4BB6AB4-E38A-4848-9BE1-433FCCFEF600.jpegFEF1F82B-90DD-4ADB-86BF-D67674BA3406.jpeg

Factually Sakadama lists as 14L bags and Akadama is shipped in 13 L bags. So 3.21 vs 3.53 a liter. Yet I’m not excited as the shipping for me, which should be similar to you, was 37.00 from PA vs the 21.90/bag from CA (UPS vs USPS I’m guessing as all my akadama & Kanuma comes via USPS ). This more then makes up the difference in volume.

Looking forward to seeing the results in 3-4 years.

cheers
DSD sends

Top Bottom