New bonsai bench

benw3790

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
My dad and I used some scrap, treated wood to build a proper bench for my trees. No more "ghetto" pallets, crates, or cinder blocks! OK still using 2 cinder blocks for the lowest bench but that's OK. Just thought I'd share it with you guys! It feels great to be progressing in this hobbies, not only with trees but with tools, pots, knowledge and now, a more professional looking and beneficial place to put my trees. No more dirty pots from rain, better air flow, out of reach of the neighborhood cats, etc... Tell me what you think! Ita good to be back on b nut!
10598.jpeg IMAG0346.jpg mocked up.

Reaction score
It's a nice setup. What i do not like is that some trees will be a bit out of reach, but you can walk around that problem. I would like more access from the front. The strength of the structure of the bench depends on the power of the crotches. The middle 5 boards press down and there are 3 crotches where it can shift. My setup is not better. This one looks good. Keep up the progression!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
My only concerns are the long spans unsupported shelving, because they will bend. When designing mine I took into account advice that said you shouldn't have more than 3ft/1m of unsupported shelf.

benw3790

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Air flow is very important, glad you got them off the pallets!
Thanks Judy! I am very excited for the air flow, which is why it's 3ft tall! No more dirty pots from the rain either!

It's a nice setup. What i do not like is that some trees will be a bit out of reach, but you can walk around that problem. I would like more access from the front. The strength of the structure of the bench depends on the power of the crotches. The middle 5 boards press down and there are 3 crotches where it can shift. My setup is not better. This one looks good. Keep up the progression!

Thank you! We had concerns about this as well with the shelving eventually bowing in. We ran out of wood so I'm going to be making a couple more braces, asap. Thanks for the concern!

Thanks!! It's a 3 step setup. Kind of like bleachers. I just walk around behind to get trees from the top, no biggie! I can water everything from the front. We ran out of wood but I'll be building a couple T style braces for the middle of the shelves so that they do not start bowing in from the weight of the trees!

choppychoppy

Chumono
Reaction score
ive got dozens of stands and benches haha - so many revisions - i think this leg should have gone to the ground to support the middle you may get a problem at the unsupported joint.

IMAG0346.jpg

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
I like it, i plan to build some this summer. My only concertain is that I looks to be close to the road, I would worry about someone stealing them.

John

Reaction score
I guess we all think the same, we don't want the bench to collapse... poor trees...

Top Bottom