New bonsai garden, including koi pond!

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I was able to get along for about 6 months before the heron found it. Lost two koi the first day. Then two more the second day.

I had to put a tarp over the pond for a couple days until the sprinklers came in. They worked for about 3 months until the heron figured out that by stalking the pond, very, very slowly, they could get in.

I lost two more koi over a period of about a week.

I tried adding fishing line strung out over the pond.

Didnā€™t work!

Finally resorted to the net.

Itā€™s been on 6 months now, and Iā€™ve had zero losses! Right after I installed it, I could see where he approached and walked on the net, and even tried stabbing thru it! But he couldnā€™t reach the fish. He tried for another two days, and then he must have decided to give up. I havenā€™t seen him since.

I live near a river with trout. So thereā€™s lots of herons.

The trout fishermen tell me that they find dead trout on the banks of the river. Big ones that were too big for the heron to eat! (They usually swallow them on one gulp). So, theyā€™ll dump them on the river banks and stab them with their beaks! D@mn birds!

Anyway, no, I donā€™t like having to use the net, but now I have peace of mind I wonā€™t lose any more fish! One of my fish must have gotten caught but managed to wiggle away... but he was damaged. He had marks on both side of his body, but one side was right up where his gills are. He slowly got an infection and died. Took about 3 weeks. Horrible.

Iā€™ll live with the net.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
And the fish are happier, too! They instinctively know the dangers of heron. So, for several days after a heronā€™s ā€œvisitā€, theyā€™d hide in the fish cave, or in the rocks as best they could, or in the deepest part of the pond. And wouldnā€™t venture out.

I have a ā€œstreamā€ section where I have a bridge crossing over. Itā€™s fairly shallow. And thereā€™s a second, smaller pond at the end. They wouldnā€™t go there.

But, now, with the nets, they feel secure, and happily explore all parts of the pond!

Ruddigger

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Thatā€™s awful about your lost fish. The net isnā€™t that noticeable, glad itā€™s working. Iā€™ve had opossums nosing around, but no herons yet. I haven't lost any fish, but Iā€™m sure itā€™ll happen eventually and Iā€™ll start netting too.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thatā€™s awful about your lost fish. The net isnā€™t that noticeable, glad itā€™s working. Iā€™ve had opossums nosing around, but no herons yet. I haven't lost any fish, but Iā€™m sure itā€™ll happen eventually and Iā€™ll start netting too.
Itā€™s kinda open up by the waterfall. Small birds will come in and get under the net and hop around, and fly under the net from one side to the other,

Some birds like the black birds and chickadees are pretty smart, and find their way in and out easily. Some birds, like doves, are pretty stupid they can get in, but have a hard time getting back out!

Hereā€™s a dove I had to direct her back towards the waterfall:

1E6E5A2B-E562-4C87-AC98-AE6B3BC9F159.jpeg

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I must have some crayfish in the pond. I havenā€™t seen any, but I found this pile of skeletons:

19C883B5-8843-46EC-9519-17A962322351.jpeg

See all the little claws?

The pile was taller and neater when I fist discovered it a month or so ago.

Itā€™s a mystery! There must have been at least a half dozen to a dozen skeletons! How did this happen?

My guess is a raccoon found them and ate them at that spot. But, I havenā€™t seen any raccoons. I have seen rabbits, and ground hogs, and squirrels... but no raccoons. (Doesnā€™t mean there arenā€™t any).

Weird.

I also found a baby snapping turtle in my skimmer. It was about the size of a silver dollar. I took it to the river.

I get a few frogs and lizards. And dragonflies.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I must have some crayfish in the pond. I havenā€™t seen any, but I found this pile of skeletons:

View attachment 378019

See all the little claws?

The pile was taller and neater when I fist discovered it a month or so ago.

Itā€™s a mystery! There must have been at least a half dozen to a dozen skeletons! How did this happen?

My guess is a raccoon found them and ate them at that spot. But, I havenā€™t seen any raccoons. I have seen rabbits, and ground hogs, and squirrels... but no raccoons. (Doesnā€™t mean there arenā€™t any).

Weird.

I also found a baby snapping turtle in my skimmer. It was about the size of a silver dollar. I took it to the river.

I get a few frogs and lizards. And dragonflies.

Like all crustaceans, crawfish molt and leave behind the old shells. Either that or you had a creepy Cajun visiting your pond and do a miniature crawfish boil. If you smell cayenne pepper then it is the latter.

Last edited:

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

Like all crustaceans, crawfish molt and leave behind the old shells.
Yeah, but thatā€™s not what happened here. Iā€™ve figured it outā€¦. What I found was a pile of crawfish skeletons sitting behind a rock that was a couple feet from the edge of the pond. Iā€™m pretty sure it was heron scat from when the heron was attacking my pond, and he had made a meal of a dozen crayfish before visiting my pond. I have no crayfish in my pond.

The net has prevented the heron from getting any more of my fish.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Yeah, but thatā€™s not what happened here. Iā€™ve figured it outā€¦. What I found was a pile of crawfish skeletons sitting behind a rock that was a couple feet from the edge of the pond. Iā€™m pretty sure it was heron scat from when the heron was attacking my pond, and he had made a meal of a dozen crayfish before visiting my pond. I have no crayfish in my pond.

The net has prevented the heron from getting any more of my fish.
My Cajun guess was close, no?

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Iā€™m NOT getting into whether a ā€œcreepy Cajunā€ is equivalent to Heron scatā€¦
Creepy Cajun = Heron
Crawfish boil trash = Heron scat

I've been to many crawfish boils. Invariably there are mounds of crawfish shell left behind to clean up.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Creepy Cajun = Heron
Crawfish boil trash = Heron scat

I've been to many crawfish boils. Invariably there are mounds of crawfish shell left behind to clean up.
All these yearsā€¦ and I never knew Heron used cayenne pepper! Live and learnā€¦

Top Bottom