New Bonsai garden

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I knew I wanted the biggest rocks I could find and I spent a lot of time looking around. In the end I feel really happy with these rocks the big one my son is on I could not even push with a skid steer. I don’t think I could have afforded them and feel pretty lucky to get them all free.

They bring a feeling of age which I think goes along perfectly with Bonsai. I am currently trying to locate a huge Cedar that has fallen over with turned up deadwood roots to insert in the garden, another feature that brings some age.

I got the telephone poles for free from a nice customer that wanted to get rid of them. Just was a bit of a drive and they are really heavy! I like there Patina.

I can never spend a full day and have some occasional help but I’ve been at it about 3 weeks. I still have a lot to do though. I want to build a structure for taking pictures of the trees with an interesting backdrop... any ideas?

One more photo...65E9D97B-A07D-44F0-B706-D217000F2732.jpeg

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I knew I wanted the biggest rocks I could find and I spent a lot of time looking around. In the end I feel really happy with these rocks the big one my son is on I could not even push with a skid steer. I don’t think I could have afforded them and feel pretty lucky to get them all free.

They bring a feeling of age which I think goes along perfectly with Bonsai. I am currently trying to locate a huge Cedar that has fallen over with turned up deadwood roots to insert in the garden, another feature that brings some age.

I got the telephone poles for free from a nice customer that wanted to get rid of them. Just was a bit of a drive and they are really heavy! I like there Patina.

I can never spend a full day and have some occasional help but I’ve been at it about 3 weeks. I still have a lot to do though. I want to build a structure for taking pictures of the trees with an interesting backdrop... any ideas?

One more photo...View attachment 210836

I would build a cool tokonoma it will add a japanese touch to the garden and as well a good place to take pictures in at the same time or to keep it simple some (black) bamboo allong the fence as backdrop

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I would build a cool tokonoma it will add a japanese touch to the garden and as well a good place to take pictures in at the same time or to keep it simple some (black) bamboo allong the fence as backdrop
Exactly what I was going to say! You could install pull down blinds in the back top of it, one white and one black, I find that I use both colors. It makes it easy to take better quality photos if you have everything you need easily.

BE.REAL

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Awesome Matt!! Loving the large rocks!

Fully agree!! Esp. the one with the young man is perched on. I am constantly swerving as I drive by and gawk at stones and trees! Ha a side affect of this artform. And again, Great work and trees. Love seeing progressions like this, always inspires and get ideas. thanks

BE.REAL

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
@mattspiniken ,
In this latest photo, that I catch myself drooling over, haha. I notice a yard juniper, perhaps, to the right and behind the large rock.
I have a few that I have slowly begun pruning, that my folks have around there large koi pond, I may end up digging one up, but not sure. But yours is in similar style and curious if you are leaving as a focal specimen, or digging up, or you just recently planted. no biggie, just in a similar situation and like to see what others do for ideas.
Again, Great work for 3 weeks, I think I am not alone in saying "WOW!" and man enough to say im jealous.
Wish I had bigger toys to work with sometimes, hahaha.
Keep on sharing...PLEASE!!

Oh and you mentioned the Phone poles you were lucky to get and curious what you did to secure them if anything at all. I recently commented on Walter Palls trunk stands, and surprisingly he replied swiftly telling me he does nothing to secure them in the ground. just rolls them where he wants and stands them up and puts a tree on it. I have a few trunks I plan to do the same, just always thought I would have to cement or otherwise secure them. But again, he does nothing and has been doing it with confidence for 10+ years. I was shocked really, with the value of the trees he puts on the poles, that they might need securing...esp. with winters. But no, so now I debate to nothing or secure them some how.
O.k. thanks again,

Reaction score
USDA Zone
@mattspiniken ,
In this latest photo, that I catch myself drooling over, haha. I notice a yard juniper, perhaps, to the right and behind the large rock.
I have a few that I have slowly begun pruning, that my folks have around there large koi pond, I may end up digging one up, but not sure. But yours is in similar style and curious if you are leaving as a focal specimen, or digging up, or you just recently planted. no biggie, just in a similar situation and like to see what others do for ideas.
Again, Great work for 3 weeks, I think I am not alone in saying "WOW!" and man enough to say im jealous.
Wish I had bigger toys to work with sometimes, hahaha.
Keep on sharing...PLEASE!!

Oh and you mentioned the Phone poles you were lucky to get and curious what you did to secure them if anything at all. I recently commented on Walter Palls trunk stands, and surprisingly he replied swiftly telling me he does nothing to secure them in the ground. just rolls them where he wants and stands them up and puts a tree on it. I have a few trunks I plan to do the same, just always thought I would have to cement or otherwise secure them. But again, he does nothing and has been doing it with confidence for 10+ years. I was shocked really, with the value of the trees he puts on the poles, that they might need securing...esp. with winters. But no, so now I debate to nothing or secure them some how.
O.k. thanks again,
Thanks for considering a few things about the garden... the big Juniper came from an old farmhouse and is planted right in the ground. It’s partner just as big is planted in a pot. I’m not 100% sure of my plans with the Juniper in the ground but will likely leave it in place. I’m plannit a grafting project for the big one.

Really interesting info about Walter Palls poles. I have used 1 60lb bag of concrete per pole. If they need the concrete I’m not sure but I like the idea of stability at least and it’s easy to throw in a bag of concrete.

I did build one bench this week...84521EFE-BF08-4186-A182-D8A63D358CF7.jpeg

Top Bottom