New Bonsai house!

Evan

Seedling
Reaction score
Hey there everyone. Thought I would post my newly finished bonsai house pictures. I worked with a local contractor last summer and we built it during a great dry summer in his off days. My criteria was that I wanted to keep the deer out and have it covered by a polycarbonate roof. There is a space off the end not fenced that is a "hang out" area for us to sit under and relax while the doors are open to the trees. I wanted a wide door opening so that meant barn door hardware. As things always evolve during a project, I wanted to cover the barn door hardware so I had some local sheet metal guys make me some covers that set on top of the header beam and hardware. This year a buddy and I finished the gravel, bricks and shelving. I moved in about 3 weeks ago and the trees are already showing signs of being happy!
Enjoy!

Dimensions: 14' x 35' includes the 10" hang out at one end.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Id have that concern too...

Looks like the deer thing is covered.

Maybe go head and leave it on till the deer come check it out.....
Then take the roof off....

Lessin they jump right in there and freak out and knock all your stuff over!

Sorce

Evan

Seedling
Reaction score
That roof isn't coming off anytime soon! I'm way committed on that one!

Well, I believe there's absolutely no worry for the light. There roof is only a 15-20% reduction in light transmission. (Clear, yet this photo shows it with this years early season massive pollen coverage) Yeah, my belief is that if I don't like the light/heat, then my trees don't like it either. It may be a possible concern for pines, yet I've seen some pretty incredible trees by my mentor Peter Adams with slightly less lighting conditions. I spent a great deal of time at his place, as he was very close by, and his lighting could have stood to be better/more? I pretty much based my theory on his several years of growing in his location.

The deer in my area are relentless, yet this will easily take care of it! They've done a fair bit of restyling on the many Japanese maples in the yard!

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Dude, you eat food. Plants make their food by photosynthesis. Sunlight, UV rays are what plants convert to useable energy. For maples, azalea, sure a little shade cloth helps. But conifers? Nope. They want full sun.

It is beautiful.

Let us know how your trees like it.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
Looks like a Federal Bonsai Prison.

In all seriousness, it looks very nice and tons of space per tree. I wish I had a nice display setting like that. I do mirror the roof concerns though. I would have left the roof open over the trees. Its a pretty slick structure though. Enjoy it. Tweak what needs tweaking as you learn from experience.

Evan

Seedling
Reaction score
Well isn't that just fun! I opened my heart to ya'll and everybody spreads their love! Thanks for the comments. I've spent years planning the site, watching the sun and it travels from season to season. Let ya know how it goes.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I really like the structure. Honestly, I've strongly considered growing my trees full time in a house if we move to Colorado. I don't have many pines, nor do I have plans for many more. I think with all the D trees I have I'd need to have a house to keep the humidity levels up high enough for them. I am planning on removable panels for the change from winter to summer. And a more transparent roof in certain spots for sun lovers, and solexx for everything else, as it's great at spreading light. But I'm not surprised that some think this may be problematic, and yours isn't even as enclosed as the building I'm thinking of making. So I'll be watching with interest on your project.
It is a beautiful room for your trees, I hope it works well for you.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Well isn't that just fun! I opened my heart to ya'll and everybody spreads their love! Thanks for the comments. I've spent years planning the site, watching the sun and it travels from season to season. Let ya know how it goes.
Evan, it's a beautiful structure. Remove the roof, or a portion of it, and it will be perfect.

In Japan, they do have retractable shade cloth arrangements that can be adjusted as needed to provide sun protection. I think one of Bjorn's videos shows it in action. Some gardens here have shade cloth areas for those trees that prefer softer light.

jriddell88

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Evan, it's a beautiful structure. Remove the roof, or a portion of it, and it will be perfect.

In Japan, they do have retractable shade cloth arrangements that can be adjusted as needed to provide sun protection. I think one of Bjorn's videos shows it in action. Some gardens here have shade cloth areas for those trees that prefer softer light.
And also take advantage of the free waterings periodically :D:rolleyes:

CWTurner

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
If you post something here you should be prepared for opinions and not just praise. I doubt anybody is unimpressed with the structure's quality or (functional) aesthetics.
Myself, I was ready to say "Wow" but the comments about the roof DO make sense. If you are comfortable housing your trees in this manner after investigation, then go for it and don't take offense when someone has a suggestion. IF things start to go downhill, the comments here might really have worthwhile input into resolving a problem.
All in all a great, beautiful and useful project. You should be proud!
CW

Evan

Seedling
Reaction score
I certainly understand that most people might not understand my exact area here on the North Olympic Peninsula in Washington State. The micro climate I used to have the trees in was a hot south facing porch. One tree loved it, my giant Trident. Only in the hottest time of the year for several days last year did it show signs of stress. I have lost many trees to this former stress producing environment, and sadly so. Over the years that environment compounded the stress on several trees which only caused them to pass on to the bonsai grave.

I've got a pretty thick skin when it comes to critique anyway, my trees taught me that. I also know that no one I have spoken with here has ever been to my site. I do plan on taking some light meter readings stepping into the full sun and then into the structure under the roof. I'll post them to this thread someday. Anyone know of a decent light meter for this measurment?

JudyB said mostly how I see my set up. I have lots of maples and mostly deciduous. I'm planning on giving pines a try.

I've enjoyed this hobby for 26 years now and still have 2 of my first starter trees. In fact, way back when I knew nothing about bonsai, like many others, I wanted to bonsai everything. Up until this year I had 2 shohin sized Horse Chestnut trees which everyone loved that were from sprouted seeds I found. 25 years with those Chestnut trees taught me a tremendous amount. The average leaf size for them was 4" across.

This site is a great way to find out new things and keep up on many peoples experiences. I only hope to share some goodness with you.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Evan,

You're trying to say that it gets hotter where you are than here in Georgia? Or Texas?

What do you consider hot?

YukiShiro

Chumono
Reaction score
Hennops River Valley,Gauteng,South Africa
USDA Zone
8b
-15% - -20% light wouldn't cause problems at all.... I grow under -40% light and my trees love it :). I'd love to have a place like that in my yard!
Well Done! I am considering installing a mist sprayer system that will start up mid day to keep the temps down in my En

If I could make a suggestion, If you could devise a plan to catch rainwater and store it in a tank to use for your bonsai, I think it would kit the place out

Very Nice! Very Nice!

Best regards
Herman

armetisius

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Evan,
I have "messed with plants" for over 40 years. I have visited nurseries long lost to time & memory but I have never seen a better designed or built "grow house" in all those years. Kudos! I think you will be okay on the light too; especially since your collection is mainly deciduous trees. In all honesty? Jealous is all I have to say.

AaronThomas

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Beautiful structured, congratulations… During the heat of the summer here in Tucson I use a -30% shade cloth and from what I can tell it doesn't affect the trees in a negative way at all.

onlyrey

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Any chance you can show closeups of the trees? The deer are surely going to miss them now.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
Well, hopefully my comments were not taken as unwarranted. I think it looks great; an embarrassment of bonsai riches, I'd say. Only you know the exact conditions where your setup is located, so all the discussion about environment is academic for the rest of us posters. My comment about the roof pertains to heat and water, not light. In my experience, I would have used a shade cloth rather than polycarbonate. I don't know your exact conditions, but here, a polycarbonate roof would lend itself too more stagnant, hot air below it. Your single pitch roof will help minimize that. I'm also a big fan of rain for watering and insect deterrence. So, for me, I would have gone with a shade cloth here in my environment in Michigan. I lease a huge greenhouse with poly roof, roll up sides and ends that open. It gets blasting hot and dry with decreased air movement. Bugs love it. Trees do fine living in it. It does decrease full sun exposure but its very hot and dry.

Top Bottom