New Bonsai Mirai Website

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm a little let down that is does not have a blog like section that teaches techniques. He is always talking about bringing bonsai to a new level in the states in his demos. That's how we get there buying sharing knowledge. People will still pay to go to his classes. If nothing else it would promote his business better. Sorry the fact that I respect his work so much is the reason I'm so let down. I was hoping for something like Peter teas blog.

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I do exactly that minus the coffee plus diet coke. That's why I was sad to see the new website with little instruction or links to his videos. I'm just being selfish. His business is his business

bumblebee

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
"...a good cup of coffee and an early morning all to yourself..."

What's that? .........maybe in another lifetime...............in an alternate universe!!

Libby

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
"...a good cup of coffee and an early morning all to yourself..."

What's that? .........maybe in another lifetime...............in an alternate universe!!

Libby

Early is the key word there!

crust

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3A
I like his new site. I spent along time looking at the collected tree progressions. Not all of them contain commentary but many do. They are fascinating, and they are still evolving. Seeing the evolution of these trees and how he imposes styling really bonks me on the head and reminds me when Ryan came and worked with our study group. I specifically remember one thing he said, It is a paraphrase, but anyways it was something like," The lack of wiring skills and applied wiring is the greatest single obstacle to greatness that American bonsai faces". This boy can really articulate branches with wire.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Particularly gratifying that he's included an American potters gallery on the site. Nice work there from a number of U.S. potters.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Particularly gratifying that he's included an American potters gallery on the site. Nice work there from a number of U.S. potters.
I agree.

I just wish our local potters are more affordable. I had to order some pots across the pond (UK-Erin Pottery) since they are approximately 40% cheaper than what locals charge. Erin even ships them free for order of 5 or more. after shipping is factored in...I could probably get 2 for the price of 1 here! :eek:

Granted I do not know how they compare quality and workmanship wise (being new) but Erin pots are much better than what my trees (or I) deserve at this stage (or maybe forever) anyway. If it is good enough for Walter Pall and Noelander, it sure is for me too!

That said, I can't wait for my Lang pot :cool:

cquinn

Shohin
Reaction score
He's not really big on "D" trees is he?

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
"I just wish our local potters are more affordable. I had to order some pots across the pond (UK-Erin Pottery) since they are approximately 40% cheaper than what locals charge. Erin even ships them free for order of 5 or more. after shipping is factored in...I could probably get 2 for the price of 1 here!"

FWIW, and not to sound like a jerk (but I will sound like one anyway, unfortunately), but there is a reason the prices are different. I've compared Erin pots to Lang's and Rayner's and a few other U.S. potters. Erin pots are very good, but not really the same as some of the higher priced "locals," especially in larger-sized pots.

For a fairer comparison, look at Albright, Dan Barton "Dansai" in the U.K. or Horst Heinzelreiter or Peter Krebs in Europe. Although not quite as refined, the U.S. potters on the mirai web site are pretty close to those European potters.

Best way to judge a bonsai pot is to hold an example in your hands. Price is but one variable.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks for the info. As mentioned, I have no real knowledge and good to know these comparison. I appreciate you coming forward with it.

For now...any pot is better than my plastic tubs. LOL

Top Bottom