New Bonsai student :)

Starshaker

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hey everyone,

I've just recently gotten into learning bonsai, and I have a few starters, hopeful starters, and a few sprigs and twigs.
Looking forward to learning from you all and as I go as well.
Already almost killed (maybe fully killed) my juniper, but hey.. gotta learn somehow right?!

J

PS.. soon as I figure out how, I'll post some pics of my babies.

Last edited:

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Welcome to the site. Lots of good info and help here.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Welcome aboard!
There’s some great people and threads here to help you make a great start.
Cheers
DSD sends

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
PS.. soon as I figure out how, I'll post some pics of my babies.
Picture file need to be under 1Mb I think (maybe 2Mb?). If Attach files doesn't work try compressing or cropping to reduce file size then attach again until you get the icon and 'insert' option.

You are certainly not the first or last to kill a few plants while learning to do bonsai. Keep trying.

RJG2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Picture file need to be under 1Mb I think (maybe 2Mb?). If Attach files doesn't work try compressing or cropping to reduce file size then attach again until you get the icon and 'insert' option.

You are certainly not the first or last to kill a few plants while learning to do bonsai. Keep trying.
Hmm, I find I can upload larger - I'm sure the site compresses them on the fly now? @Bonsai Nut ?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
In the series of symbols on the top line you can see... the chain link for Linking to some place/thing online; a post card for inserting/embedding a photo; the smiley face for emoji; and postcard/film frame for uploading a photo. Try the embedding one.

Javaman4373

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I find this furm rejects image files a little greater than 2 mb. I have a Mac and I learned that I can open an image in preview then export it. The pop up menu for Preview export has a slider that can reduce the size of the file to the desired level.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I find this furm rejects image files a little greater than 2 mb. I have a Mac and I learned that I can open an image in preview then export it. The pop up menu for Preview export has a slider that can reduce the size of the file to the desired level.

The hard limit on images is 4MB. However if you upload an uncompressed image, the site will compress it.

Starshaker

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Awesome, thanks for the info.
I think I missed the buttons initially, now I can see the option to take a photo and post it directly from my phone, but it keeps saying oops we ran into some problems halfway through the insert process..

Maybe the camera is making too large of an image size?

Starshaker

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Some Wisteria first started in June 20210627_221051.jpg
Here's what they look like today :) wisteria seedlings 7-25-21.jpg

This poor Juniper is probably TOAST :/ 20210724_105209.jpg

The rest of my stuff :)
Ginseng Ficus and Porticulara Afra I "rescued" from Lowe's
20210724_105628.jpg

alongside a Weeping Cherry cutting I got from my sister's yard before Asplundh destroyed it and a Turkey Fig cutting. Some Scuppernong and pear seeds in the big bucket.. waiting on those to sprout :)

20210724_230448.jpg

Fukian Tea (mini) and Arabica Coffee Plants.. (bonus KFC to go cup has some Arizona Barrel Cactus seeds in it for my dad but... I have my doubts about those)

20210724_230514.jpg

different angle of Mr T.
Mini Fukian Tea 7-74-21.jpg

I am optimistically hopeful about the fig, pretty pessimistic about the cherry and cacti though..

crossing my fingers on the coffee cause some of the leaves took some crunch damage in shipping and I'm really hesitant to cut those off until I see some new growth.

Really optimistic about the Fukian though. The guy at the Bonsai Nursery I bought it from had quite a few of them in this stage of development or older, and man this guy had some beautiful trees that were upwards of 20 years old. I could have hung out there for hours talking to that guy but wheeew it was hotter than hades yesterday so I finally had to tell him bye haha.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Awesome, thanks for the info.
I think I missed the buttons initially, now I can see the option to take a photo and post it directly from my phone, but it keeps saying oops we ran into some problems halfway through the insert process..

Maybe the camera is making too large of an image size?
My Android defaults to 4160" x 3120" @ 1 dpi = 38937 KB. I reformat (on my computer) to 10.67" x 8" @ 186 dpi = 8856KB and it loads fine and presents a big picture online.

Top Bottom