New bonsai tree enthusiast and need help identifying the tree

dragan

Seedling
Reaction score
Hi everyone I bought a bonsai tree after some time looking for it and bought one but there was no name of any identification of it so I need help identifying it if anyone can help so I could take care of it properly as I don't want it to die. I looked over multiple species online but could find the one that I have so please help me identify it.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you bought this from a bonsai vendor in a mall, roadside, or other location that sells bonsai in volume it is most likely a tropical species. I don't know if it is a ficus. Best way to tell is to prune off a piece of a hardened branch. If the sap is white and milky, it's a ficus...

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I'm not so sure. Mine has prominent raised center vein and more pointy leaves with the characteristic twist at the tip...
FWL leaf ID 031716.JPG
OP leaves appear to have impressed center vein and obtuse tip.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hmm thought the leaves looked a little weird for a willow leaf but seemed like the best possibility given the rest of it.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
i was going to say Olive too, but haven't had much in-person experience with that species...It would make sense that it's olive since the OP is in the U.K. and olive is common in European markets.

Dzhokar

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
And the tips are rounded...
@Clicio is in Spain, he might know olives
@Shibui , olives are popular in Australia also.

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Haha! Olive!
Right, yeah.... I was.... uh...just testing you all!
🤣🤣🤣

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Not Australian Brush cherry. Here are pics of both

The brush cherry (also known as "lily pilly") is first. Olive (olea europa) is second...

Attachments

• lillypilly.jpg
    lillypilly.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 43
  • olive leaf.jpg
    olive leaf.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 66

Lutonian

Chumono
Reaction score
Luton, East Anglia, England, Great Britain
USDA Zone
9a
There is a narrow leaf form I have seen used as bonsai that is some what common in garden centers as mallsai, what ever it is its not an olive or ficus. lily pilly is Syzygium smithii there are lots of Syzygium species and common names can get confusing.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have several Eugenia and a number of willow leaf figs and it is not one of those. It is exactly like the olive I have seen for sale at garden centers that carry such things.

Top Bottom