New bonsai tree expectations

Brady D

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I bought this tree the other day from a box store I already have new bonsai soil coming in the mail for it. What type of tree is it, also what type of growth should I expect will the trunk grow larger and will it develop limbs. Thankyou for any help.A33DBBF0-E9CA-415E-88D2-7A277D1FBC1C.jpeg28730DD6-7058-468C-BC97-56B5D7BC3FF9.jpeg

SWfloirda

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
You've got a healthy looking ficus tree, commonly called a ginseng ficus but it is most likely a ficus microcarpa grafted to a different variety of ficus microcarpa. They may not make the best traditional tree but they can be fun to work and learn from. They are tropical and should be kept above 40 F. I keep mine outside in full sun all year in zone 10a. The pictures I'm attaching are a similar tree from February 2019 and July 2022. If you live where you need to take it indoors for the winter your results will be different.
IMG_3397.jpgIMG_9818.jpg

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@Brady D
Welcome to BNut

Please put your location on your profile so we can give you advice specific to your area.
How one grows a tree in one place can differ to how it is grown in another place.

Brady D

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
You've got a healthy looking ficus tree, commonly called a ginseng ficus but it is most likely a ficus microcarpa grafted to a different variety of ficus microcarpa. They may not make the best traditional tree but they can be fun to work and learn from. They are tropical and should be kept above 40 F. I keep mine outside in full sun all year in zone 10a. The pictures I'm attaching are a similar tree from February 2019 and July 2022. If you live where you need to take it indoors for the winter your results will be different.
View attachment 479558View attachment 479559
How much pruning did you do if any also do you have any tips for pruning these lovely little trees

SWfloirda

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
How much pruning did you do if any also do you have any tips for pruning these lovely little trees
I generally prune 2-3 times a summer. This is the last video I made with the two “ginseng“ ficus. I like the one over the rock much better.
Ginseng Ficus what can you do with one?

Brady D

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
View attachment 479558View attachment 479559
How we’re you able to grow aerial roots?

Apex37

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
They can be fun plants to start with! This was my first ‘bonsai’ plant I bought from a big box store. I’ve thought about getting rid of it, but it’s a nice little tree to learn from.

Needs to be defoliated and wired out this summer.
BD3120B1-3CA3-473D-8381-7B32FC1E45AD.jpeg

Top Bottom