New boxwood planting

StPaddy

Mame
Reaction score
So I was at Home Depot and they had a new shipment of Japanese boxwoods for seven bucks apiece. I bought two after looking through them for a while. Kinda cool for me. Kept em around a week or so till I could play with them. Planted this morning. What do you think? I keep going back on keeping vs losing the lower branch on the right tree. B78E649E-01B5-44A3-8CE9-CD45BF3D184D.jpeg

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
So I was at Home Depot and they had a new shipment of Japanese boxwoods for seven bucks apiece. I bought two after looking through them for a while. Kinda cool for me. Kept em around a week or so till I could play with them. Planted this morning. What do you think? I keep going back on keeping vs losing the lower branch on the right tree.
A fun little composition. Depending where you live, this is usually not the best time of year to be transplanting. Boxwoods can be a little touchy about their roots, so make sure you focus on keeping this arrangement alive versus doing too much more work on it.

As far as the lower right branch goes, it all depends on your vision for this little forest. If your goal is to keep the forest the same height it is currently, but just develop finer ramification, you will want that branch. If, on the other hand, you want to grow out the plants a little more (like 50% taller), you will want to lose the branch.

StPaddy

Mame
Reaction score
Yeah I figured it’s a gamble. They just popped up at Home Depot while I was there the guy was laying them out and I couldn’t help myself. I’m by the beach in SoCal and it’s been cooler here as of late. Heat is coming tho I bet soon. Gonna leave it awhile can’t hurt! Thanks!

QuantumSparky

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Nice find! Typically that branch would be removed but I don't know if the standard bonsai rules really apply to forest or clump style.

+1 for previous explanation on ramifications VS height

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
spells LOVE

With it. ☝️Thread Graft points with bonus for the quote.

I'd leave it as a health sacrifice for now.

But it's too close to on the same plane as the left to keep it.

Sorce

StPaddy

Mame
Reaction score
Looking back I think I could have gone a smidge taller in the right. Idk. Fifteen bucks of fun I say. Had the pot I inherited. Why not ?

jackson24

Seed
Reaction score
Looking back I think I could have gone a smidge taller in the right. Idk. Fifteen bucks of fun I say. Had the pot I inherited. Why not ?
I was at Home Depot last weekend and picked up the same plant, Boxwood 'Wintergreen'. You got a nicer one, mine was 9.98. Like the idea of grouping two together, may go back and pick up a second one. On a quick web search I did find that it's easiest to wire when they are young as the wood turns hard as they age, but that it then presents an opportunity for carving. I'm in SE Michigan, did spend 20 years in the Anaheim/Fullerton area.

StPaddy

Mame
Reaction score
I was at Home Depot last weekend and picked up the same plant, Boxwood 'Wintergreen'. You got a nicer one, mine was 9.98. Like the idea of grouping two together, may go back and pick up a second one. On a quick web search I did find that it's easiest to wire when they are young as the wood turns hard as they age, but that it then presents an opportunity for carving. I'm in SE Michigan, did spend 20 years in the Anaheim/Fullerton area.
Yeah I’m in the South Bay. I was gonna wire a little but am just gonna see what happens first. My dad really likes boxwoods. I wish I could find an old hedge next spring somebody wants removed!

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Lose a trunk, add one, or put a rock or something in the middle. Nothing wrong with 4 I guess, but the mirror

Choose which equals to make not parallel or same height or equivalent.

Far right lower branch would be least of my concern, potentially a place to cut to…?

If were mine would probably make into three trunks perhaps closer together or two individual single trunk separate trees.

Just thoughts, I don’t know.

StPaddy

Mame
Reaction score
Lose a trunk, add one, or put a rock or something in the middle. Nothing wrong with 4 I guess, but the mirror

Choose which equals to make not parallel or same height or equivalent.

Far right lower branch would be least of my concern, potentially a place to cut to…?

If were mine would probably make into three trunks perhaps closer together or two individual single trunk separate trees.

Just thoughts, I don’t know.
I’m planning three down the road. Was gonna make one a Jin or maybe a stump with a tiny ax stuck in it ;)…I see one of my kids legos taking up residence to get him interested…😂

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I’m planning three down the road. Was gonna make one a Jin or maybe a stump with a tiny ax stuck in it ;)…I see one of my kids legos taking up residence to get him interested…😂
yessss

boxwoods are indeed tough! choppa choppa! Although, id beware of bending regarding wire, I mean….snapping, more than any cuts or roots -that said I have no mature established boxwoods, only messed around with nursery shohin such

are those two on the left in the dewy bind of love making? what is really happening in this composition @StPaddy?

StPaddy

Mame
Reaction score
yessss

boxwoods are indeed tough! choppa choppa! Although, id beware of bending regarding wire, I mean….snapping, more than any cuts or roots -that said I have no mature established boxwoods, only messed around with nursery shohin such

are those two on the left in the dewy bind of love making? what is really happening in this composition @StPaddy?
That’s hilarious…didn’t even see that!

Top Bottom