New Boxwood

alonsou

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I posted this boxwood along with another tree on another thread but I decided it was time to split them into separated discussions since each of them its getting different feedback and having everything mix up on a single thread could create a lot of confusion.

This is what a got a few days ago.

Looks like a decent piece of material, but will require some work,

I'll started by removing a good portion of the foliage so I can have a better view of the branches.

I removed the old soil, it was too compact, last time I watered was on Sunday morning and today when I took it of the cheap plastic nursery pot it was very wet on the inside, so I decided to remove as much as possible of the soil, I took the opportunity to reduce the root ball a little and remove some of the old thick roots.

This is the new home of the boxwood for the next few years,

I added a layer of lava rock on the bottom of the pot

follow by a good layer of my bonsai soil mix, 80% diatomaceous earth,10% pine bark, 10% lava rock

I also removed some of the "aerial roots" from the twin truck and an ugly root from the main trunk.

finish it with a nice layer of lava rock on top, I like to use this material on top of the soil for a few reasons, 1) it adds a nice weight to the pot, thus making it more stable and reducing the chances of tipping it over 2) it helps me to keep my soil mix in place while watering 3) it holds a nice amount of water, so I have to water less

After a nice shower

without the aerial roots

some detail pictures

Now, I'm thinking on probably removing the top portion of the twin trunk, this will give it some movement, taper, and I will get rid of the straight upper portion that look very unattractive. What do you think?

bonsaiTOM

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Terrific photo series - great detailing.

I like what you've done with this. I would think that you could cut where indicated - but maybe next spring. Has it had enough stress for this season?

Wonderful tree. :)

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In California, doesn't really matter all that much. I repot mine in mid-spring here in Va. though, as summer isn't a great time to do it here and have them recover enough for winter.

alonsou

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I think it should be ok, I'm far from an expert, I only took of less than 1/3 of the roots, needless to say I have my fingers crossed on this one. :D

treebeard55

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
Looking very nice, Alonsou -- good job! And as Tom said, your photo sequence is very informative and helpful.

My only input at this point is that the tree's tilt is pronounced enough to probably determine your choice of front -- or at least influence it strongly. I would give that some thought before cutting the secondary trunk.

Boxwoods bud back nicely after a chop -- either that, or mine doesn't know any better!

Jason

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Personally I would be a little more bold with the second trunk. I'd go back an inch or two beyond the scar. In any case, nice material, you have something to work with here.

Top Bottom