New Brazilian Rain Tree

Cable

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I picked up my first BRT at a show this past weekend.

20180714_180030.jpg

I kinda like it as is. Well, after a little clean-up. I think my next step is going to be to put it in to a resin bonsai training pot. It is rectangular so doesn't exactly fit with the feminine form of this tree but it should be a good transition until next year. I usually re-pot in the spring only but I've read you can do BRT in mid-summer. Would it be best to basically slip-pot it or should I trim the outside of the roots?

One thing, though, is that it appears to be in an aladama/bark mix right now and my regular mix is DE/lava/perlite. I would think that will be ok, though, since I plan to keep the existing root ball mostly intact and it shouldn't be too different in density so I think watering should be fine.

I've read that people tend to remove the thorns. Should I do that?

Rodrigo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I picked up my first BRT at a show this past weekend.

View attachment 201367

I kinda like it as is. Well, after a little clean-up. I think my next step is going to be to put it in to a resin bonsai training pot. It is rectangular so doesn't exactly fit with the feminine form of this tree but it should be a good transition until next year. I usually re-pot in the spring only but I've read you can do BRT in mid-summer. Would it be best to basically slip-pot it or should I trim the outside of the roots?

One thing, though, is that it appears to be in an aladama/bark mix right now and my regular mix is DE/lava/perlite. I would think that will be ok, though, since I plan to keep the existing root ball mostly intact and it shouldn't be too different in density so I think watering should be fine.

I've read that people tend to remove the thorns. Should I do that?
Congratulations on the new tree! Could you post a picture of the tree coming from the level of the pot? At this angle its hard to see the tree correctly.

Brazilian Rain trees, along with most other tropicals, are actually repotted during the summer when they're growing strongest. I repotted mine at the beginning of June and it's doing great so far. I'm not sure how long your growing season is in Ohio but if you still have enough time, you may be able to do a full repot without too much to worry about--if the tree is healthy.
The thorn thing is really up to you, I take mine off because it's easier to work with and those things are sharp lol. Once you cut them they don't regrow from the same spot, only new shoot will have them.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
They are fun trees, enjoy. Removing the thorns, doesn't hurt them. But not removing them, can hurt you.;)

Cable

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Aw man, this thing has exploded with growth. I cut it back last month and it's looking like a mushroom cloud again. lol. I'll have to get an update pic when it is light out.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Aw man, this thing has exploded with growth. I cut it back last month and it's looking like a mushroom cloud again. lol. I'll have to get an update pic when it is light out.
Mine too. I hesitate to cut it back much now, since it will probably have to come inside in a month or so. How are you going to overwinter yours?

Rodrigo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
@Cable and @Carol 83, are y'all going to be defoliating yours before brining it inside?

How are you going to overwinter yours?
This is my only tree that comes inside so I personally have a small closet set up with a good light a fan. It did really well last year judging by the amount of growth it had throughout the winter

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
@Cable and @Carol 83, are y'all going to be defoliating yours before brining it inside?

This is my only tree that comes inside so I personally have a small closet set up with a good light a fan. It did really well last year judging by the amount of growth it had throughout the winter
Nope, I didn't defoliate it last winter and it did fine. It will naturally lose some leaves when I bring it inside anyway.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Yeah that's what I'm trying to avoid :p I kept having to clean up fallen leaves for weeks so I'm thinking of defoliating it before so I don't have to deal with that
Last year one of mine dropped every leaf within a few weeks of being brought inside. The other one never dropped any, and they sat right beside each other. :confused:

Rodrigo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Last year one of mine dropped every leaf within a few weeks of being brought inside. The other one never dropped any, and they sat right beside each other. :confused:
That's interesting. I wonder what the difference was. Did you see any difference in vigor this season?

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Get it a heat mat to sit on, and it'll grow all winter for you. I used to defoliate mine every winter once, and it was fine. I did mine in between thanksgiving and New Years.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
That's interesting. I wonder what the difference was. Did you see any difference in vigor this season?
I just about lost the one that dropped all it's leaves. My own fault, left it in the soil it was in when I bought it. It was staying way too wet for too long. I cleaned out all of the mucky soil, trimmed off the rotted roots and repotted into a faster draining mix. It's still alive, but looks like hell. The other one is growing like a weed. My apologies @Cable for hijacking your thread.

Rodrigo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Get it a heat mat to sit on, and it'll grow all winter for you. I used to defoliate mine every winter once, and it was fine. I did mine in between thanksgiving and New Years.
Mine grew all last winter without a heating pad very well but I may give it a try this winter and compare.
That's right, I believe you were the one that suggested I defoliate it on a different thread :)

I just about lost the one that dropped all it's leaves. My own fault, left it in the soil it was in when I bought it. It was staying way too wet for too long. I cleaned out all of the mucky soil, trimmed off the rotted roots and repotted into a faster draining mix. It's still alive, but looks like hell. The other one is growing like a weed. My apologies @Cable for hijacking your thread.
Oh no! I'm glad you were able to get the problem fixed before it was too late! With how quick these things grow I'm sure it'll be back to normal in no-time.

@Cable yes, sorry about that!

Cable

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Mine too. I hesitate to cut it back much now, since it will probably have to come inside in a month or so. How are you going to overwinter yours?

I’m planning to overwinter it in my office at work under a grow light. If it starts to decline I’ll move it into the greenhouse.

@Rodrigo no I’m not planning to defoliate.

No worries about the thread hijack, I didn’t consider it one anyway and was enjoying the conversation. ?

Top Bottom