New buds on podocarpus in November ???

maroun.c

Omono
Reaction score
Was about to do some branchwork and some pruning on my podocarpus today when I noticed it was all covered with new buds? Were in late autumn (yet temp is 15-20degrees Celsius).
Are those new buds that tree is preparing for next year or are those supposed to expand now ?
Would it be ok to prune and remove couple branches and wore the tree now or should I Wait for the buds to grow and harden?
Any advice on best timing for wiring, branchwork, pruning podocarpus is appreciated as I can't find a lot of info on podocarpus.
Thanks

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I don't think the buds will open until a bit after the winter solstice, say Feb or so.

Two general principles in bonsai are
  1. cut back to a branch/shoot or to a bud OR always leave a visible bud
  2. don't wire when the bark slips easily, which is during the weeks/months around the summer solstice = the growing season
The only question is exactly what the response is doing #1 now. The only way to know is to prune and watch. Just leave a visible bud at the tip of the branch/shoot.

Almost certainly #2 is satisfied. But again, you'll quickly find out when you try to wrap the wire on. More care is required during the growing season, but even then you might be able to wire and style it if you are careful. Now shouldn't be a problem for you.

Top Bottom