New Camera Setup, New Pics

AboveBeyond

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks to Eric Group and Barrosinc for motivating me to finally get the proper lighting and background for taking pics. I bought 2 softbox kit and a black background. Here's the results of tonight's photoshoot. Comments and critiques are welcome (either photography quality or the actual trees). :)

Satsuki Azalea
Satsuki Azalea.jpg

Amur Maple

Amur Maple.jpg

Japanese Elm
Japanese Elm.jpg

Japanese Black Pine
Japanese Black Pine.jpg

Japanese Boxwood
Japanese Boxwood.jpg

Japanese White Pine
Japanese White Pine.jpg

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Nice setup, takes great pictures.

Need to take the moss off the trunk on that japanese elm, looking pretty out of control there.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Oh and on that last one, the white pine, you should consider taking off (jin) the bottom right bar branch, tilting the tree to the left, bring the foliage on the right down more while lifting the bottom left branch up to get rid of the awkward bend.

Also with tilting it, it makes the base larger so thats another bonus.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
So what did you use for your background? It looks really nice. Now you have to get wire on most of those trees!!!
@joe, looks like he's piling sphagnum moss around the base to get some surface roots, I could be wrong...

AboveBeyond

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
So what did you use for your background? It looks really nice. Now you have to get wire on most of those trees!!!
@joe, looks like he's piling sphagnum moss around the base to get some surface roots, I could be wrong...

Here's what I bought for lighting/background. I also shot these pics using my DSLR camera, which makes a big difference in addtion to the new lighting setup.

Softbox lighting:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E4YS2XU?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

Background:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0047FF13U?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01

Yeah, I defintely need to do more wiring work. It's something I need to developme more experience with. As for the Elm, it does have moss/weeds that I need to get rid of. All the other trees have spaghnum.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I think you have done a wonderful job of learning this associated art; photography. I don't think a lot of bonsai people are aware how important this aspect of bonsai can be. It provides a living record of the development of masterpieces, and a legal record, in the event something untoward happens and you have to call the police into the situation.

DougB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
If you have a DSL you should shoot and work with raw files. What a difference that makes. Are you using a tripod and remote?

AboveBeyond

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
If you have a DSL you should shoot and work with raw files. What a difference that makes. Are you using a tripod and remote?
Definitely RAW. I'm using hand held (no tripod yet) at 1/80s but tripod would make make it a little easier (lower the shutterspeed, lower the iso, sharper image).

erb.75

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I think the fact that you're using nice equipment really shows.

maybe I can convince my club to go in together on a community backdrop at the very least, then propose a photography session for a meeting once a year.

I think everyone would love to have a professional looking picture of at least their favorite tree, if not several trees

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
The only real critique I would make (lighting is as good as you could ever need), zoom in a bit and move further back, that way you avoid the perspective warp of the pot looking like an isosceles trapezoid.

You are using 26mm on a D7100. (I use 135mm on full frame, so something like 85mm for you). Try going to 40 or even 55mm if you are using the 18-55mm kit lens (seems like you are using an 18-140??).

Last edited:

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I think the fact that you're using nice equipment really shows.

maybe I can convince my club to go in together on a community backdrop at the very least, then propose a photography session for a meeting once a year.

I think everyone would love to have a professional looking picture of at least their favorite tree, if not several trees
I have been using tripods for backdrops for yearsssss... I doscovered these collapsible backdrops and have never looked back. They are so convenient.

AboveBeyond

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The only real critique I would make (lighting is as good as you could ever need), zoom in a bit and move further back, that way you avoid the perspective warp of the pot looking like an isosceles trapezoid.

You are using 26mm on a D7100. (I use 135mm on full frame, so something like 85mm for you). Try going to 40 or even 55mm if you are using the 18-55mm kit lens (seems like you are using an 18-140??).
Yes, I used a 18-140mm lens. I have a 40mm lens that I'll shoot with and see how that compares. Thanks for the tips!

AboveBeyond

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Great, great job! Trees looking very nice too.
Believe it or not, after I saw your pics of one your Japanese Maples, that was when I decided to get a DSLR camera. My favorite speicies is Japanese Maples as well.

Top Bottom