New Caretaker (Satsuki Azalea) Needing Advice/Help

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Hello! I need a little help with caring for my new bonsai tree. I got my tree about 4-5 months ago and everything has been generally fine, ive been watering and misting, put a little bit of new soil and have it indoors next to a east facing window (I dont put it outside because im afraid pests will bother it and i dont want to move it around to much). I might just be over-reacting, but I wanted to ask if the white stuff on the trunk is normal? The leaves look healthy they dont have any mold and the ends are sprouting new leaves but they are starting to get droopy and thats worrying me. Can someone please help me out? If i need a fungacide or if its fine

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Dropping the concave cutters and throwing our arms to the air signaling your presence, traveler. Rest your weary bark ‘mongst the woody dwarves and soak your roots in the fabulous riverbank of the Tiny Forest!

This is a wonderful place... built on shared knowledge... good to have you.

I’ll say it firstly, and politely.. your tree has to go outside... It will patiently struggle it’s way to a long slow death otherwise (experience with this ;) )...So that is step 1.. also some pictures of said Azalea will help us (You included) out a lot, as well.

Also, so that the BEST possible advice can be given for YOUR individual situation, you may want to go ahead and update your account info to reflect a general idea of your climate zone.. it can be vague if you are feeling a touch “shy” ;) (Mine just says Northeastern Wisconsin)

Pleasure to make your acquaintance.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Nice to meet you! I attached some photos below of how my plant is looking right now. Do you think it would be okay to move my bonsai inside and outside every once in a while? Like maybe a week or so outside and when it gets to hot or too cold ill take it back in

Attachments

• 20200721_091815.jpg
    20200721_091815.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 45
  • 20200721_091756.jpg
    20200721_091756.jpg
    214.2 KB · Views: 44

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
Do you think it would be okay to move my bonsai inside and outside every once in a while? Like maybe a week or so outside and when it gets to hot or too cold ill take it back in

Do you see plants and trees running from rain to take shelter?
Do they move in and out every day in nature?
Nope, your azaleas should be outdoors all the time. keeping them indoors will surely kill them eventually.
If your USDA zone is 8b they should be hardy OK to be outside at all times.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
You’re in zone 8 (as @Clicio has said) ...your azalea will LOVE constant exposure... I’m in 5a... right on the negative “cusp” of most Azalea climate worries.. Mine stay outdoors until we start talking overwintering for my zone 6’s and up (I don’t have many.. it’s cold here) So if you’re in South Carolina/Georgia... you’re golden..

I would advise (if this guy has been living inside for more than a month and a half) a gradual exposure to sunlight... I learned A LOT of painful lessons about sunburn during the “moving outdoors” process.. ALL at once, too... (many soldiers lost)

For completely Indoor wintered plants (I have an adequate “set-up” to keep them “surviving”) I expose 1 hour direct at a time adding a consecutive hour each day for a week(ish)... but if your guy JUST started living indoors.. this process not need be so dramatic...

Where you live.. you should almost never have to bring trees indoors, I believe (pending unique circumstances) you’re lucky..USE the FREE plant care provided by the earth.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

It just looks like whatever we are calling that white build up this week. Hard water? Calcium build up?
Salt?

Vinegar can dissolve it.

Rain....of the outdoor variety.....will prevent it.

Sorce

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This plant should be outside all the time. You're killing it inside. Far too dark and probably arid AC ventilation...

If you're talking about the white build up at the bottom of the trunk, that's probably being deposited by the chemical make up of your water---happens just like the build up on faucets, bathtubs etc. inside. As mentioned, another benefit of being outside is rain water, which is more on the acidic side of pH. That will probably go away once outside...

Harunobu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
It has to be outside. You are in zone 8a and it is summer. If it is a satsuki, you should never move your azalea inside, ever. Not even during your coldest winter night. Unheated greenhouse? Sure. Protecting and sheltering it from the wind. Yes. Inside. Never.

Those drooping leaves on some of those branches are a bad sign. Put it outside and see if it goes away. White stuff on the trunk is not normal. You could check if it is fungus or salt by trying to culture it. If it grows, it is alive. Or smell it, maybe.

It it turns out not to be a satsuki but a Belgian Indica/R.simsii, it may not be winter hardy. If so, give it away to someone that lives further south. Or buy a greenhouse.

Top Bottom