New Cork Bark Black Pine

keri-wms

Shohin
Reaction score
I’ve wanted one for years, finally picked this up mail order from Corin Tomlinson / Greenwood.

I think it’s a bit weak (one dead lower branch, one probably past saving), I dropped it out the pot and it appears to be in mostly pure grit with some old Akadama or fertiliser near the trunk, the thin white roots are from weeds and most pine roots look old/black and there’s no visible mycorrhiza. There are a handful of new pine growing tips though!

So I scraped the top layer back, chopped up some donor mycorrhiza and mixed into some fresh mix and basically potted it up, 1-2cm bigger bottom and sides. Will keep it out of excessive UK rain, feed it and get to know it for at least a year!

before:
7872EC00-7347-4B30-8FF3-F79721693302.jpeg

Biggest buds
A78E1B0A-8315-4375-AA1E-1EFC14AC7BB5.jpeg

F9FAED29-6D31-4C31-B6F2-BDCA5BEB71B5.jpeg

Gritty stuff, bit sticky near trunk74C4ED2D-D02B-46AF-845A-96ED1EA65B85.jpeg

Good size, bad colour! Before final fill...I will have to watch my watering til the tree’s strong enough for a proper repotC2C64674-745D-4B27-A471-3AFA54B5C576.jpeg

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Enjoy. They’re delightful and frustrating oddities.

keri-wms

Shohin
Reaction score
Enjoy. They’re delightful and frustrating oddities.
Thanks! I’m hoping to find out where they differ from normal JBP the easy (online) way rather than the hard way....! At least this one appears to have stock JBP roots due to the graft.

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Can you share your thoughts on why you cut the tips and the the reasons?
Growers will cut needles on jbp just to reduce the "solar panels" , clean up the silhouette and let more light pass through. Even Ryan and Bjorn can be seen cutting needles on pines in development.

JeffS73

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thats a funky looking beast! If, when you come to trim it, you have any material left over, would you consider sending me some? I would love to start some grafts, and then try to get them on their own roots. Been asking around and nothing doing :)

keri-wms

Shohin
Reaction score
Thats a funky looking beast! If, when you come to trim it, you have any material left over, would you consider sending me some? I would love to start some grafts, and then try to get them on their own roots. Been asking around and nothing doing :)
I’m afraid that’s what I’ll be doing, (grafting later on) sorry about that! There’s some young grafts someone’s got up on fleebay I think?

Top Bottom