New Crape Myrtle acquistion

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I'm trying to get rid of trees and can't believe I got this. I'm not one for getting developed trees, let alone paying for them. Most of my trees I've collected or people give them to me. However, when I seen it, I knew I had to have it. This pot I have is just crying out for something and I think it's found its mate. Never had a crape before so it'll be a new experience. Probably pot it up after flowering. Doesn't have a pedigree so it'll spend winters in the greenhouse.

IMG_4321.JPGIMG_4326.JPGIMG_4332.JPG

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Nice. I like it a lot. How big is it - hard to tell from the pics? I would think it will definitely need protection in your area.

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
That's a very nice tree! I was not a fan of crapes until I saw a natchez in person. The bark got my attention immediately, and is the reason I bought my luma as they share the same traits. I also bought a small crape last week... about 1/10 the size of that one.

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Nice. I like it a lot. How big is it - hard to tell from the pics? I would think it will definitely need protection in your area.
It’s about 30” from the soil line. My unheated garage freezes but not much below that. I got it from Jim at Natures Way. They have them in the ground in Harrisburg PA. But they have a pedigree for hardiness.

AnutterBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
What are the recommendations for crepes with smaller leaves? I’m interested in the future to perhaps buy one and development myself.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wow, that's a really nice tree! It seems to flower on shortish branches which is unusual for a Crape Myrtle (I think). Must be some type of dwarf variety?

Great score...I would have jumped all over that if I saw it somewhere.

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Wow, that's a really nice tree! It seems to flower on shortish branches which is unusual for a Crape Myrtle (I think). Must be some type of dwarf variety?

Great score...I would have jumped all over that if I saw it somewhere.
I’m a total noob with these. I’m looking for info myself. I traded pots for it.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I’m a total noob with these. I’m looking for info myself. I traded pots for it.

Talk to Mark A about them, he has one or two nice ones. I don't see them too often around here.

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
It’s about 30” from the soil line. My unheated garage freezes but not much below that. I got it from Jim at Natures Way. They have them in the ground in Harrisburg PA. But they have a pedigree for hardiness.
Interesting. I have some in the ground here in central VA that usually experience some die back over the winter. I have 4 in pots that I also keep in my garage over winter to be safe.

They are very nice to work with - grow fast, can take drastic pruning of roots and branches and have that nice, smooth exfoliating bark. I've had success doing root work at the traditional time and also in early summer. Mine don't usually flower because I keep them pruned back. Mine soak up all the sun I can give them and like water a lot. Fall color is also usually very nice.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Interesting. I have some in the ground here in central VA that usually experience some die back over the winter. I have 4 in pots that I also keep in my garage over winter to be safe.

They are very nice to work with - grow fast, can take drastic pruning of roots and branches and have that nice, smooth exfoliating bark. I've had success doing root work at the traditional time and also in early summer. Mine don't usually flower because I keep them pruned back. Mine soak up all the sun I can give them and like water a lot. Fall color is also usually very nice.

They are fantastic trees. We lived in Virginia for a while and grew to love them, but up here they won't survive in the ground. I have seen a few newer and smaller varieties for sale with the claim that they can handle our winters, but...I don't know, maybe in a really protected spot.

Bill V had a bunch of the dwarf Crapes at one point and I came so close to buying one, but never did. I'd like to get one someday.

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
They are fantastic trees. We lived in Virginia for a while and grew to love them, but up here they won't survive in the ground. I have seen a few newer and smaller varieties for sale with the claim that they can handle our winters, but...I don't know, maybe in a really protected spot.

Bill V had a bunch of the dwarf Crapes at one point and I came so close to buying one, but never did. I'd like to get one someday.
I've grown the pokomoke dwarf variety for a number of years. They make great mame and shohin sized trees relatively quickly. I don' think they are very hardy though as they almost always die back a little in the winter, even in my garage. I would usually lose most of the fine twigs. They tolerate most anything you want to do to them otherwise though.

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a

This seems to be in peat. The root ball is very light. I can pick it up with one hand. Probably put it in APL supplemented with chopped orchid moss for moisture in mid-September. Not sure what I’ll find in there

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I bought a crape from Zach Smith last year and one from the FB auctions. They both made it through the winter here in the unheated, detached garage, although one didn't leaf out at all until June. I have since added another pink one that I love. Yours is great, can't wait to see it in that pot.

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
This seems to be in peat. The root ball is very light. I can pick it up with one hand. Probably put it in APL supplemented with chopped orchid moss for moisture in mid-September. Not sure what I’ll find in there

I keep mine in a mix of lava, mvp and pine bark and they seem to like that. They'll fill a pot with roots in a season - don't think they would be too particular about what they are growing in.

Top Bottom