New Crop of Bonsai Enthusiasts

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Great day. Who knows maybe a future Bjorn out there!

Hats off to you making it interesting to such a young group. Myself have only held groups with older Children 12 - 18 and they were on top of everything as they signed up for it so had interest in the first place through the 4-H, good to see this!

Grimmy

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-H is a great program!

MaxTheSpy

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I really like this idea I wish my highschool or middle school had something like that. I would have loved it, though as it turns out my grandfather and my dad taught me about bonsai when I was about that age so at least I still got the education.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Good to hear that!
I'm thinking of dragging some of my trees into some classes as well, but they're far from being refined.. It wouldn't have that much impact as a tree that already looks like a bonsai.
I have been thinking as well lately, to set up a 4-year programme for kids in the 'green colleges' (yes, we have colleges that teach kids about agri-/horticulture as specialized college). These kids usually come from agri- or horticultural families and want to take over the business when they're ready. I can safely tell you, none of these kids are ready. I mean, they work hard, they have the attitude that could make a family business thrive, but the lack of knowledge is simply shocking.

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Don't think about it. Do it! I do not think I could say I have one really well defined tree! 99 percent of my trees are works in progress. Cool for the kids to see how they start out before you start any work on it. The progression of the tree is your opportunity to teach I believe.

Solaris

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Thanks man, I hope bonsai keeps increasing in popularity here. It would be nice to have some new nurserys pop up, I don't know why it isn't more popular

No immediate gratification. Westerners hate things that don't pay off right now. That's why you don't see people saving up for retirement until they're in their forties - that night of drinking or the new gadget is a lot more fun right now than watching the savings account get bigger, let alone a retirement account.
But hey, on the plus side that means standards and prices will stay high.

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Love the Taiwan shaped pot on the "Please Look Don't Touch" table.
That was the I have to find something big enough to put this thing in now after the class pot ?

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I wanna see that exposed root...just saying. Sorry off topic...came back to view on a larger screen. You know me...? a sucker for exposed roots!
Is this the one? Mexican Bird of Paradise. I thought I lost this thing. It got real upset with me on the pond basket repot. I think it bounced back pretty good. Going to cut the long leads off since it has new lower growth.
20180414_095259.jpg
20180414_095526.jpg

Top Bottom