New cultivar?

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
Thanks! I’m desperate for it to succeed as well. I’ve had 100% success with field maple collections this year so I think it’s pretty likely to transplant ok, but the more chances it has the better.

Clorgan

Omono
Reaction score
Thanks! I’m desperate for it to succeed as well. I’ve had 100% success with field maple collections this year so I think it’s pretty likely to transplant ok, but the more chances it has the better.

You seem like you know what you're doing collecting wise, I'm sure you'll be fine! Great find.

I may be coming to you for advise about collecting when the time comes, never done it but I'd love to try! Probably with a field maple - seems like a good choice for our location!

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
You seem like you know what you're doing collecting wise, I'm sure you'll be fine! Great find.

I may be coming to you for advise about collecting when the time comes, never done it but I'd love to try! Probably with a field maple - seems like a good choice for our location!
Ha!...Well that’s fine, but I’ve only got very limited experience of collecting really. Others have a lot, lot more knowledge In the matter. However, I think collecting deciduous trees is far simpler than coniferous, in the main, and Field Maple is a great choice to get your feet wet. Difficult to find too many suitable old, gnarly specimens (if that’s what you’re after), but there’s plenty of maples around the place in general.

Clorgan

Omono
Reaction score
Ha!...Well that’s fine, but I’ve only got very limited experience of collecting really. Others have a lot, lot more knowledge In the matter. However, I think collecting deciduous trees is far simpler than coniferous, in the main, and Field Maple is a great choice to get your feet wet. Difficult to find too many suitable old, gnarly specimens (if that’s what you’re after), but there’s plenty of maples around the place in general.

Well you look like you've been successful anyway, give yourself some credit, I think it's due :) Yeah I actually just took the dog for a walk through our local woods. This thread got maples on my mind - saw so many field maples. Didn't have a proper look but looked like there could be potential. May have to send an email in preparation!

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
Well you look like you've been successful anyway, give yourself some credit, I think it's due :) Yeah I actually just took the dog for a walk through our local woods. This thread got maples on my mind - saw so many field maples. Didn't have a proper look but looked like there could be potential. May have to send an email in preparation!
Well thanks very much! 😊 Who manages the wood? I have e-mailed the woodland trust and the forestry commission and have had disappointing results so far in that WT haven’t yet replied (I’ll try again soon) and the FC forwarded my e-mail to a couple of people before someone from Forestry England said, “we cant give permissions at this office” and that was that. It’s obviously not a common request so persistence may be necessary! Definitely worth starting now to try and gain permission before the time comes.

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
Getting pretty exciting. Put me on the list if you are succesfull :)
Yes mate will do. I’ve never sent plants via post before so I don’t really know what the protocol is, but I’ll look into it. I’ve been thinking actually, whether people would want seedlings, larger plants in litre pots or what. Obviously a good while off yet, but would you have a preference, for example? I’m not even sure if it will stay true to form yet, but the parent plant doesn’t look like changing so fingers crossed! :)

Clorgan

Omono
Reaction score
Well thanks very much! 😊 Who manages the wood? I have e-mailed the woodland trust and the forestry commission and have had disappointing results so far in that WT haven’t yet replied (I’ll try again soon) and the FC forwarded my e-mail to a couple of people before someone from Forestry England said, “we cant give permissions at this office” and that was that. It’s obviously not a common request so persistence may be necessary! Definitely worth starting now to try and gain permission before the time comes.

Not a clue! It's on my list of things to research haha. That's what I thought, get looking into things in good time. That is disappointing! Hopefully someone gives you the go ahead

Edit - quick google search tells me it's privately owned

Last edited:

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes mate will do. I’ve never sent plants via post before so I don’t really know what the protocol is, but I’ll look into it. I’ve been thinking actually, whether people would want seedlings, larger plants in litre pots or what. Obviously a good while off yet, but would you have a preference, for example? I’m not even sure if it will stay true to form yet, but the parent plant doesn’t look like changing so fingers crossed! :)

Don't worry about mail. One of my students enrolled in Oxford for her MSc. I think she will hang around for a bit there and I might make it to Oxford next academic year. Been a while since I was there and I would like to visit (Not sure you know, I used to work at Oxford Uni as biologist).

I would be happy enough with a rooted cutting!

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
Not a clue! It's on my list of things to research haha. That's what I thought, get looking into things in good time. That is disappointing! Hopefully someone gives you the go ahead

Edit - quick google search tells me it's privately owned
That’s good, probably. Less bureaucracy to deal with at least. My dealings with private owners have been successful so far though. Obviously you never know what they’re like to deal with but if they allow public on site then they’re not going to be closed to everything hopefully. Good luck!

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
Don't worry about mail. One of my students enrolled in Oxford for her MSc. I think she will hang around for a bit there and I might make it to Oxford next academic year. Been a while since I was there and I would like to visit (Not sure you know, I used to work at Oxford Uni as biologist).

I would be happy enough with a rooted cutting!
That’s cool! I knew you worked at the uni, but not in which capacity. We’re only a couple miles outside the city so you’re welcome to visit when you come over.

I’ll have to get my cuttings to root extra quick for you then 😅

Schmikah

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I scanned through the posts so if I missed something, my bad, but I just wanted to share my experience with weird foliage coming from deciduous trees, especially juvenile growth. I'm a noob so you take it or leave it.

I bought two southern live oaks and potted them up in late January. I did a very minor root prune, doing the minimal up-potting work that was absolutely necessary to unwind and trim dead or weak ends.

When march rolled around they both began to shed leaves as expected, and only one began to push buds (lets call that one #1). #1's leaves looked strange. You can find pictures southern live oak leaves if you're interested for comparison, but #1 had smooth sides that only grew to about 2-3 cm long. The leaves also formed a much more pronounced "dome" or curve than was expected.

In late May #1 produced a second flush of leaves, and just days afterwards #2 produced its first flush. Both first flushes of #1 and #2 were almost identical, oddly shaped with the distinctive "points" and mostly smooth.

However, #1's second flush produced leaves that were as expected.

I'm not sure what exactly happened, but I'm assuming a mix of change of weather, nutrients, or roots might do something weird to leaf development.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I'm not sure what exactly happened, but I'm assuming a mix of change of weather, nutrients, or roots might do something weird to leaf development.

I think you're right.

Until the 3rd or 4th year, you can't tell if a seedling is different, or interesting, compared to the mother-tree.

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
Bit of an update on this one. I collected the tree in late winter, the whole thing, and I didn’t manage to get as many roots as I’d have liked so the top basically died back entirely. As a last throw of the dice, in April, I chopped it down low and put it in a black bag, misting regularly. This had the desired effect and thankfully chucked out a load of new shoots.

The leaves were pretty standard at first, if a little more frilly than usual, but now it has sent out three leaders all displaying the deep lobed characteristic that was interesting in the first place. I’m just going to leave well alone and see how it plays out for the next year or two.
IMGP0237.JPGIMGP0244.JPG

First two taken at the weekend, last picture taken this morning with the leaf fully opened.

IMGP0260.JPG

Attachments

• IMGP0240.JPG
    IMGP0240.JPG
    104 KB · Views: 2

Ohmy222

Shohin
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing. THese are violated all the time and are debated heavily by hardcore maple collectors for sure. I have also heard you should never cross words from seperate languages too. For instance, the cultivar Shin Shishio or Shin Chishio is normally called Shishio Improved or Chishio Improved. The fact that Shishio is Japanese and Improved is English should make it an excluded name but there are numerous examples. Your document actually calls out not using the word improved as well. Either way, when in doubt I would not register a cultivar until massive research is done and years have passed. With maples there a several where cultivars cannot be definitely discerned from one another or believed to be renamed for better branding. There are examples of Japanese cultivars that were essentially just given a new English name like Beni Hoshi/Ruby Stars or Segai/Bonfire. One flip through the Satsuki Dictionary and you can see that many cultivars look the same, especially to an untrained eye.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Bit of an update on this one. I collected the tree in late winter, the whole thing, and I didn’t manage to get as many roots as I’d have liked so the top basically died back entirely. As a last throw of the dice, in April, I chopped it down low and put it in a black bag, misting regularly. This had the desired effect and thankfully chucked out a load of new shoots.

The leaves were pretty standard at first, if a little more frilly than usual, but now it has sent out three leaders all displaying the deep lobed characteristic that was interesting in the first place. I’m just going to leave well alone and see how it plays out for the next year or two.
View attachment 387756View attachment 387758

First two taken at the weekend, last picture taken this morning with the leaf fully opened.

View attachment 387755
I've seen others with this kind of leaf. I even had this one growing last year.

IMG_1964 by Jerry Norbury, on Flickr

Top Bottom