New cultivar?

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
I've seen others with this kind of leaf. I even had this one growing last year.

IMG_1964 by Jerry Norbury, on Flickr
Yes I have a slender leafed one as well, but these leaves are markedly different to any FM I’ve seen before. I’ll get more pics tomorrow, maybe with some side by sides of a selection of FM leaves.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Yes I have a slender leafed one as well, but these leaves are markedly different to any FM I’ve seen before. I’ll get more pics tomorrow, maybe with some side by sides of a selection of FM leaves.
@peterbone has one like yours...

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
All taken this morning. I tried to get a mix of leaves to show the variation in the species, but it also shows the difference in the new leaves between all the others.

IMGP0263.JPGIMGP0265.JPGIMGP0262.JPGIMGP0270.JPGIMGP0261.JPGIMGP0266.JPGIMGP0268.JPGIMGP0269.JPGIMGP0267.JPGIMGP0264.JPG

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Looks different to me. Well worth growing out and some small scale propagating to see how it develops over time.

I have a Ficus that is unusual, and wild collected. I almost lost the species, my 28 year old specimen died on me. Fortunately I have a 5 year old "spare". I need to get a few more cuttings rooted this year and spread around, so that me and Jerry Meislik are not the only two people with this one in the USA.

Last edited:

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
Looks different to me. Well worth growing out and some small scale propagating to see how it develops over time.

I have a Ficus that is unusual, and wild collected. I almost lost the species, my 28 year old specimen died on me. Fortunately I have a 5 year old "spare". I need to get a few more cuttings rooted this year and spread around, so that me and Jerry Meislik are not the only two people with this one in the USA.
Yes good idea. I was going to just leave it alone for a couple of years to see how it develops, but trying to strike a couple of cuttings is definitely not a bad plan. I’d hate to lose it now.

That’s sad about your specimen though. I imagine thats hard to take after so many years. What species is it? Do you have any pics?

augustine

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I have ‘compacta’ but leaves look like species just smaller.
I agree leaf looks like Hawthorn.

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
Nice. Fairly narrow form, but not quite as deeply lobed with much more regular consistency of shape. Classic field maple.

Top Bottom