New Daiza WIP

fudo133

Sapling
Reaction score
Howdy all,

I just wanted to show off the new daiza i'm working on for a friend of mine...the wood is nothing special/just some crappy radiata pine, but i think its turned out pretty well thus far aside from it perhaps being a bit too thick...but there wasnt much of a choice with the position of the stone that he wanted. I think it sort of works since its such a chonky and vertical stone though...

I still have to refine and round the bead off and add another round to the squareish edge below it as well as do the feet and obvious staining/waxing/finishing stuff to it.

constructive criticism or ideas as to the style of the feet would be very welcome!

Cheers!

photo_2021-11-14_22-13-16.jpg
photo_2021-11-14_22-13-18.jpg
photo_2021-11-14_22-13-49.jpg
photo_2021-11-14_22-14-00.jpg
photo_2021-11-14_22-14-05.jpg

MHBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Really nice. I like the light wood. It’s hard making a consistent cut/border like that. If it was mine I’d try to thin it down and carve some pretty strong masculine feet to help that big stone look stable.

yodamon

Sapling
Reaction score
Sparks Nevada, northern Nevada about 45 minutes fr
USDA Zone
7a
Howdy all,

I just wanted to show off the new daiza i'm working on for a friend of mine...the wood is nothing special/just some crappy radiata pine, but i think its turned out pretty well thus far aside from it perhaps being a bit too thick...but there wasnt much of a choice with the position of the stone that he wanted. I think it sort of works since its such a chonky and vertical stone though...

I still have to refine and round the bead off and add another round to the squareish edge below it as well as do the feet and obvious staining/waxing/finishing stuff to it.

constructive criticism or ideas as to the style of the feet would be very welcome!

Cheers!

View attachment 407989
View attachment 407990
View attachment 407993
View attachment 407991
View attachment 407992
That is really nice. I’ve done two now and I know how hard it is to make. I like how the lines are vertical to meet the stone. I agree with the masculine feet. I’m not sure what that means but wide and complimentary to the top lines. Good job.

fudo133

Sapling
Reaction score
Thanks guys! I've made a couple before but that was way back so i'd kind of forgotten how tricky they can be...the exact placement/sizing for the feet is still troubling me a little but i've started toying with some ideas for them.

I spent a good chunk of today refining the lip around the stone and starting to round the top edge by carving a series of bevels into it and then splitting the difference a couple times...I'm thinking i might leave the first bevel as it is though rather than rounding it over completely once its time to sand things...just because i like the extra detail it adds to things...

photo_2021-11-15_21-43-11.jpg
photo_2021-11-15_21-43-49.jpg
photo_2021-11-15_21-45-41.jpg

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Really like the up and down undulation of the lip as well as the perimeter. Are you power carving or using knives?

fudo133

Sapling
Reaction score
Really like the up and down undulation of the lip as well as the perimeter. Are you power carving or using knives?
Thanks! I tried to carve it down to meet the widest point all around the stone
So far i've done the whole thing with chisels and gouges, though the pine lets me know the second they get blunt by tearing out haha

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Thanks! I tried to carve it down to meet the widest point all around the stone
So far i've done the whole thing with chisels and gouges, though the pine lets me know the second they get blunt by tearing out haha
I was going to ask about that. Pine can be tricky. Maybe some huan pine? I like you’re using a lighter timber. I little out of the ordinary.

fudo133

Sapling
Reaction score
just a small update today and an appeal for some aesthetic input...

I've finally roughed out the feet, trying to position each one under a visually weighty area of the rock, but i'm a little uncertain of whether the feet should be higher/the gaps in between them raised up and/or whether i should try to slim them down a bit more.

I still need to refine the curve that transitions from the bottom edge into the feet but i was also contemplating maybe cutting a shallow bead in along this edge as well to tie in with the lip around the rock? The keen eyed might be able to make out my rough pen marks showing the position and width of it along the bottom edge.

photo_2021-11-17_21-47-29.jpg

photo_2021-11-17_21-47-49.jpg

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Did you make a drawing? It’s hard to visualize your plan with words only.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Looks very good! Is the bottom of the stone cut flat? I need to finish one I was making a while back, pottery have been taking priority though.

fudo133

Sapling
Reaction score
Looks very good! Is the bottom of the stone cut flat? I need to finish one I was making a while back, pottery have been taking priority though.
Thanks! The bottom of the stone is relatively smooth, but annoyingly far from flat - it slopes quite aggressively from front to back and curves up on each end....which is a huge part of why this daiza ended up being so thick, as i wanted to make sure the whole thing was nicely seated all the way around.

I know what you mean about unfinished projects though! I've got a huge list to get back to ;)

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Here's my thread....so close, but still so far away from getting finished.

fudo133

Sapling
Reaction score
Here's my thread....so close, but still so far away from getting finished.

Its looking pretty awesome so far! Really good job on fitting it...once that bits over the rest is a bit of a cake walk

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Really amazing work. Would love to do this but with limited time and energy its not likely.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Its looking pretty awesome so far! Really good job on fitting it...once that bits over the rest is a bit of a cake walk
Yeah the fit takes the longest for sure. Still debating how to do the feet.

Top Bottom