New dwarf cherry

Heitor Silva

Yamadori
Reaction score
Sooo... I decided to post some of my fellow trees. This one is an Eugenia matosii, know as "Wild Cherry" or "dwarf cherry" here in Brazil. I acquired it 3 days ago, after a small trip to Sorocaba. Loved the idea of "lotta trunks from one tree". Right now, I'm planning to slip pot it. As for the future, I will let it get used to my climate before doing anything with it. However, I believe that opening its canopy, which is kind of congested, would do it some good. IMG_20190915_075402.jpg

Put it in a larger container yesterday. Its really hot it here. YIKES!
IMG_20190916_184007.jpg

Heitor Silva

Yamadori
Reaction score
Update. (11/22/2019)

After tracking its health, which was really nice, I decided to intervene in its shape. My objective was to shape it in a "less bushy" manner. Now, i will let it fill out till Darwin knows when. Nice liquid feeding every 15 days allied with osmocote.

IMG_20191118_071845.jpg

Ideas i found online, which could help me out :
images (63).jpeg

Inputs are welcome!!

Attachments

• IMG-20190930-WA0033.jpg
    IMG-20190930-WA0033.jpg
    325.3 KB · Views: 8

Heitor Silva

Yamadori
Reaction score
Update: didn't do much to it besides leaving it free to grow. It has shown some nice progress upon using osmocote plus a foliar fertilizer. Eugenias are quite resilient, but not so fast growers at all. From a really nice article I read, Eugenia matosii's shrubs which heigh 1 m are considered tall!
Took it to a Workshop this January. The teacher is called Cézar, and lives in Sorocaba (check Bonsai Sorocaba on Facebook!). We used some wire to open the overall structure, and did some light trimming so as to ramify it.

Before
IMG_20200110_101748.jpg

AfterIMG_20200116_160740.jpg

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Nice. Looks healthy. How flexible are the branches?

Heitor Silva

Yamadori
Reaction score
Nice. Looks healthy. How flexible are the branches?
I must be frank: they aren't that flexible at all. After a diameter of 2.5 cm, branches become really "solid". I wired some of the finer ramifications with copper wire, since it is stronger than aluminum. However, if you look at the bottom portions of the tree, it isn't bendable at all.
Another think I did was to anchor some of the thicker branches so as to be able to move then.
It reminds me of the Jaboticaba when it comes to this point.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I must be frank: they aren't that flexible at all. After a diameter of 2.5 cm, branches become really "solid". I wired some of the finer ramifications with copper wire, since it is stronger than aluminum. However, if you look at the bottom portions of the tree, it isn't bendable at all.
Another think I did was to anchor some of the thicker branches so as to be able to move then.
It reminds me of the Jaboticaba when it comes to this point.

I had the impression that the branches are not all that flexible.

Top Bottom