New elm seedling!!

koda659

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
Well as promised here is some updates on the six seeds I started awhile back. Only 1 ended up sprouting but very healthy looking. And you can just see the next set of leaves emerging. So far so good lets hope he last for many years.
1459352249110666784826.jpg
1459352320396-561166137.jpg
1459352372207577440274.jpg
And a pic of my indoor setup for them. Just until its warmer outside.

koda659

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
It's Ok man, weed is legal in Canada! Oh, wait, or is that the Netherlands where it is legal? Just Amsterdamnit?
Thats funny! But no its my little seedling, hes a couple days out of the ground now. Doing good hope he lasts long enough to start training him.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Whatever you do, DON'T PUT IT OUTSIDE unless it is protected. I put 3 elm seedlings outside and in less than two hours a bird had torn them to shreds.

koda659

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
Ahh shit that sucks how many did you end up getting out of your batch. And im looki.g into buying a greenhouse but the one I like has a white greenhouse cover, is that fine for bonsai or would clear be better because the greenhouse kit comes with a nice frame that I could turn into an arch greenhouse and wrap it with real greenhouse wrap thats clear

j evans

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Whatever you do, DON'T PUT IT OUTSIDE unless it is protected. I put 3 elm seedlings outside and in less than two hours a bird had torn them to shreds.

Now they are a part of some little birdies home or maybe dinner. Sorry but at least they didn't just die and go to waste.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I use an old dog crate, wire mess, and set tender and or bird & squirrel tasty trees in there. Once seedlings have hardened off in a week or two, they will no longer be attractive to birds, and you can put them out.

I tried starting Chestnuts once. I tied a disc of 1/4 inch hardware cloth (wire screen) to cover the pot. Squirrels would tug and pry for hours try to get the cover open. Trees grew through the mesh. In autumn, after leaf drop it was easy to lift the mesh off. I still have one 4 years later. Not an ideal species for bonsai, leaves are bigger and more leathery than beech. But it was a fun experiment.

Top Bottom