New England Bonsai

cquinn

Shohin
Reaction score
Are the folks at New England bonsai notoriously slow? I've been waiting three weeks for pics of white pine and have actually talked to them three times to try to get the pics. I was looking at spending 4 figures with them, but now I think I'm just going to order from The Growing Grounds. He's responsive, so I guess he'll get the money. Any one else have issues?

Last edited:

DaveV

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Have you tried Gregory Beach Bonsai. I don't know if Don has any JWP but he responds and has good shipping.

cquinn

Shohin
Reaction score
I've bought from Don in the past. He is good.

Reaction score
Hi Cquinn and others.
I work at NE Bonsai and run the Kaikou School of Bonsai - so, up front, that is my bias. I've worked here for over 10 years at Hitoshi and Teddi are the best. I'm not trying to be an apologist but really enjoy my work there interacting with the trees and bonsai enthusiasts who visit. It is much easier and better to work with people face to face and for people to buy trees in person but, of course, with the internet age and the lack of bonsai nurseries everywhere, people are looking for good, reliable, quality internet sales. We get literally hundreds of requests for photo's of trees (and we have thousands of trees). We respond as best we can to these requests balancing the fact that our face to face retail customers. All I can say is that sometimes people expect things right away and have no patience when it comes to expecting replies to inquiries. Patience is essential in bonsai but I'm aware we don't necessarily have it as consumers (believe me, I know, as I have another company and deal with customers all the time. We try to deal with people as individuals but can't always, of course, meet everyones expectations all the time, especially with internet inquiries. We would love if people could visit the nursery so we can meet you and you can enjoy our hospitality and our beautiful trees. If you can't, then we'll do the best we can with inquiries. I do NOT deal at all with email inquiries and am writing this on my own, not as an employee of the company. I'll pass on your concerns. You can email again and maybe practice a little patience. Maybe someone like Rob or other of our customers who participate here can weigh in with their experiences.
Peace through bonsai,
John

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I'll toss in that they are a fairly large complete nursery / bonsai supply operation, and are in the busiest time of year. They also travel and "import" trees from all over the country usually the Jan/Feb time frame, these all need to be incorporated into the nursery, as well as the quarantine for imports.

Good people, busy, maybe not full speed on having photos available.

I don't have an affiliation aside from being a customer of theirs for sometime.

I think October, and Dav4 will concur, with you John.

Some places are much smaller and can jump on a request like this, but may not offer the full range of goods and services they do.

cquinn

Shohin
Reaction score
Hi Cquinn and others.
I work at NE Bonsai and run the Kaikou School of Bonsai - so, up front, that is my bias. I've worked here for over 10 years at Hitoshi and Teddi are the best. I'm not trying to be an apologist but really enjoy my work there interacting with the trees and bonsai enthusiasts who visit. It is much easier and better to work with people face to face and for people to buy trees in person but, of course, with the internet age and the lack of bonsai nurseries everywhere, people are looking for good, reliable, quality internet sales. We get literally hundreds of requests for photo's of trees (and we have thousands of trees). We respond as best we can to these requests balancing the fact that our face to face retail customers. All I can say is that sometimes people expect things right away and have no patience when it comes to expecting replies to inquiries. Patience is essential in bonsai but I'm aware we don't necessarily have it as consumers (believe me, I know, as I have another company and deal with customers all the time. We try to deal with people as individuals but can't always, of course, meet everyones expectations all the time, especially with internet inquiries. We would love if people could visit the nursery so we can meet you and you can enjoy our hospitality and our beautiful trees. If you can't, then we'll do the best we can with inquiries. I do NOT deal at all with email inquiries and am writing this on my own, not as an employee of the company. I'll pass on your concerns. You can email again and maybe practice a little patience. Maybe someone like Rob or other of our customers who participate here can weigh in with their experiences.
Peace through bonsai,
John

I'm sure everyone is great. As far as patience is concerned I have plenty, and it's been the better part of a month now. As a business person, it sounds like there are break downs in processes or maybe for this time of year you need to hire more help if you have so many trees and so much business. Maybe an office manager that can help with orders and the like. This could save the business untold amounts in lost orders. I actually inquired by phone and not e-mail, was told that it would be a couple of weeks and I said no problem (wihich is usually unheard of in most businesses). i also did the following up (I'm a customer, they should be doing the follow up). If the owners care more about handling face to face customers then they should maybe think hard before offering products for sale on a website or again hire someone to handle that part of the business. The people I talked to were nice enough and that's not even up for debate. The problem in this case is its been tough to buy anything from them and that's a problem for a business as most depend on revenue. I probably should have voted like a shareholder with my feet instead of posting, but I was trying to get a better feel for how these folks work their business. I've found out that you really need to just go there, and don't bother with any shopping by phone or via the website.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
All I can say is that they have exceptional stock at what I consider to be good prices. I've never mail/on-line ordered from them, as I only lived 20 miles away until 2009. It's by far and away the best bonsai nursery I've been to...I know of a couple of guys from the Atlanta Bonsai society that drive up there every June and come back with a vehicle stuffed with plant material and pots, over 2000 miles round trip.

Personally, I'd give them another chance to get your business.

cquinn

Shohin
Reaction score
All I can say is that they have exceptional stock at what I consider to be good prices. I've never mail/on-line ordered from them, as I only lived 20 miles away until 2009. It's by far and away the best bonsai nursery I've been to...I know of a couple of guys from the Atlanta Bonsai society that drive up there every June and come back with a vehicle stuffed with plant material and pots, over 2000 miles round trip.

Personally, I'd give them another chance to get your business.

So my last line was right it is better to just go in person.

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
I bought a couple of trees from them, no problems.

Harry

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
So my last line was right it is better to just go in person.

It's always better, when possible, to see a possible tree for purchase in person.

My greater point is that they are, in the eyes of more then a few experienced bonsai types, a nursery worth driving great distances to do business with.

Last edited:

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hello cquinn,
Well, speaking as someone who worked there for almost the entire last season, I will say that it is one of the friendliest nurseries in the business. The do literally have thousands and thousands of trees. I know that they are closed in January and reopen in February,, At which time, they get pretty busy with all bonsai related tasks, business and horticulturally. As you know.. Bonsai is not really a hobby where people are breaking down the walls trying to get a job at the nursery. Also, experienced bonsai help can be hard to find. Hitoshi, is one of the nicest and most out going gentleman in the bonsai business..He does an incredible job at running the nursery.. A big responsibility that pretty much has no breaks.

It is too bad that my schedule does not allow me to work at the nursery this season. If so, I would gladly help out in this matter. I do ask that you not give up.... In the end, I am sure you will be very happy with your purchase...

Here is something to demonstrate just a fraction of their quality stock..The first pic is a white pine that I purchased from them last year. The second is another one at the nursery that is indicative of their stock. I do not have any more white pine pics on hand.. I have some in my older files somewhere that are probably even more exquisite than these.

Attachments

• pictures2 009.jpg
    pictures2 009.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 53
  • pictures2 081.jpg
    pictures2 081.jpg
    195.8 KB · Views: 60
Top Bottom