New European Beech - progress thread

Malix

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Brought this home a few weeks ago. a large European hornbeam that caught my eye. It had lots of branches and looked good for afar but was lacking taper and included some reverse taper in the upper part of the trunk. as well the thickness of branches from lowest to higher was somewhat poor. As much as I loved the ramification and branching on the tree i decided to cut the tree back hard. The cut was losing sap as soon as I cut it. So i decided to hit the cut with a torch to see If I could cauterize the wound . It worked and the cut stoped bleeding.

Today I decided to do thorough repot. . the tree had not been repotted in a looong time. It was a solid mass of roots. Many fine roots but many thick roots. a few were over an inch thick. I cleaned out as much old soil as possible and reduced the roots as much as I could taking into consideration the amount I was pruning or had pruned on the top. I tried to balance out the draw on the root system by the remaining canopy.

Potted it up into a wood box with 50/50 DE/pumice and a few handfuls of pine bark. The root system is not bad but still has a lot of work before it begins to develop any kind of spreading nebari below the swelling base of the trunk.

After completing the repot I then reduced the coarse branching down to approx 2 buds per shoot. I removed quite a lot of branches but wanted to get a good foundation going from this point on. The smller branches did not bleed at all, unlike the large cut at the top of the trunk did . I did some shaping with guy wires and wiring. And this one should be good to go for the growing season. i'll not touch it again save for watering and fertilizing till fall. Will likely do some light pruning of shoots at leaf fall. ( if it needs it.)

The plan moving forward will be to either get the tree to break a bud in a good place to allow a new leader or to graft something up there to begin developing the new top. Additionally I'll be trying to get the tree to bud back on some of he overly long or bare sections on the branches.

as purchased
IMG_7137.JPG

after rootwork

IMG_7249.JPG

work completed

IMG_7257.JPG

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Nice tree. Without being critical, I think you have reversed encouragement of taper, as is. You'll need to restrict growth in the top third and get lots of growth on the lower branches and have the bottom 2/3 grow while the top parks and waits. The lower two pair of bars have to go back to one apiece or it will just make the bulges bigger. Great candidate!

Malix

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Nice tree. Without being critical, I think you have reversed encouragement of taper, as is. You'll need to restrict growth in the top third and get lots of growth on the lower branches and have the bottom 2/3 grow while the top parks and waits. The lower two pair of bars have to go back to one apiece or it will just make the bulges bigger. Great candidate!
Totally agree. There was not really any inner buds on any part of the tree. So what you see is all branches cut back to the last one or 2 buds on all branches. The plan is to let the tree recover this season and promote back budding with restriction of growth/ partial defoliation in the coming years. As time goes by I can favor the lower branches as beech are very apically dominant.

the two bar branches at bottom are actually not.. the left one appears from the trunk about an inch higher than the right. But it drops down to make it appears so.

As you say there is lots of work on this tree to come. I did as much as I thought was safe for now and will continue to reduce and rework the canopy. Inc removing congested areas on The trunk to reduce any more potential reverse taper.

Sometimes I think I still want to chop the trunk lower to get better taper on the trunk but rebuilding it all then makes me think again.. I just got this so I’ll see how it responds and reassess next year.

Thanks for the suggestions..

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Has the potential to be a nice tree!

Your profile says Sonoma County. Where are you located? I'm in Petaluma. Looks like you've been on the forum for about as long as it's been around. REBS member?

Cory

Malix

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Has the potential to be a nice tree!

Your profile says Sonoma County. Where are you located? I'm in Petaluma. Looks like you've been on the forum for about as long as it's been around. REBS member?

I’m in Sebastopol. Tho technically closer to Forestville. Have had bonsai for years and years but fell out of it for about 8 or 9 yrs. Trees suffered during that time and just barely got back on the horse at the time Corona started. Never joined Rebs but only wanted too since the pandemic began so .. ... will doso once things start back up again.

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Welcome back to the forum and to the hobby! I highly encourage you to join REBS. It's a fantastic club (considered one the best in the U.S. actually). My skills improved dramatically after I joined. Although there isn't much happening right now with the pandemic, hopefully that will change soon and we can get back to having meetings, workshops, and ultimately the annual show in August.

Top Bottom