New fancy pot for old Lebanese Cedar

MichaelS

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I acquired this tree as a swap for a wisteria. It was 40 years old then. That was <> 10 years ago. JUST NOW beginning to bark up!
I have removed 3 very large old branches over the last few years and flattened the top. Looks a bit more like a cedar rather than a pine tree now.
Round tops for the true cedars (which is more or less what this had) goes against their natural habit.

P1140679.JPG

After a long and boring needle thin.....

P1140681.JPG

P1140682.JPG

A new pot and a slight turn anticlockwise turn

P1140683.JPG

P1140684.JPG

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I love the patina looking lotus pot. Where did you pick that up? I almost hate to say the word “literati,” for fear of planting the seed. Maybe just two more branches off the bottom?

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Don't change a thing. What I really like about the plain brown pot crowd is how they spend time oiling a pot that has mineral stains that won't come out of a plain brown pot just before a show. I am unclear why they want a pot that looks like shit in the first place.

jimib

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think it looks fantastic like that....very natural...

Cosmos

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Great tree as always Michael, keep ’em coming.

Is it fair to say the base is a bit of a weak point? One root on the left seems covered with resin, the one pointing toward the front seems to have been carved possibly? A close-up picture would be appreciated.

MichaelS

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I love the patina looking lotus pot. Where did you pick that up? I almost hate to say the word “literati,” for fear of planting the seed. Maybe just two more branches off the bottom?
I got the pot as a birthday gift years ago. Forgot I had it. It's a very heavy thick pot!. Branches off? who knows what the future holds!

MichaelS

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Is it fair to say the base is a bit of a weak point? One root on the left seems covered with resin, the one pointing toward the front seems to have been carved possibly? A close-up picture would be appreciated.
Probably fair but show me a cedar with a good nebari! Most of the old ones here - and there are a few left from the 1950s! - have a big bulb as a nebari and not much more. Unless you train these from seedlings you won't have a good root spread and even then it's difficult because the roots tend to grow like worms without much taper.

Top Bottom