New Ficus, help needed to ID species

cmu268

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I picked up this Ficus on clearance for $15 from New England Bonsai Gardens over the weekend. The person who rang me out couldn't say for sure, but I believe it's a Ficus retusa/microcarpa. I'm hoping someone can help me confirm that ID!

Still relatively new to bonsai (about a year), this one had a hard prune in the not too distant past and has tons of new growth/back budding coming in. My plan is to let this one grow out a bit before any future styling.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_3142.jpg
    IMG_3142.jpg
    216 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_3142 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_3142 - Copy.jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 57

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Very healthy looking indeed. Most people can only dream of that kind of back budding on ficus.

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Very healthy looking indeed. Most people can only dream of that kind of back budding on ficus.
Feed them well and give them plenty of water and they will do just that. Search for 5:2 humic to kelp, Curtis (cmeg1) advises on it frequently. Ever since I started using it, almost everything I use it on starts back-budding from inner internodes without any other action. Before I had to cut hard to get that type of reaction.

@cmu268 your tree does look like a f.microcarpa, the var. Tigerbark has a darker bark.

This is a Tigerbark
ficus root.JPG

Top Bottom