New Ficus Species

CoolBonsais

Seedling
Reaction score
I believe I have found a new ficus species or subspecies. I know this plant is Ficus Aurea, however, Ficus Aurea as well as most other ficus have green veins.

Here is an image of the plant:
79751A05-1FDD-4956-BF43-147D4B35B679.jpeg

Under slight magnification, we can we a clearer design.

AB333D7C-A160-4D9F-8E51-037A84940C05.jpeg

I wonder if this is a similar case of another species of ficus. In the southwest of the USA, there is a species called Ficus Palmeri (has green veins). Another species called Ficus Petiolaris, with an almost identical leaf shape, distinguished by one key trait, red veins. So possibly, we have a new subspecies from Ficus Aurea. Additionally, the red color lasts for one to two months. Does anyone have any ideas about this plant?

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Species and subspecies is a designation for a reproducing population, not a single plant.

At best, it's a cultivar if the trait is stable after propagation.

CoolBonsais

Seedling
Reaction score
I have found a few more plants with the same trait, amongst other regular Ficus Aureas. It is stable after propagation of cuttings. I have found 3 individuals with this trait. All within 50 feet of each other.

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
amongst other regular Ficus Aureas
With zero geographic isolation, not gonna be a subspecies unless you somehow establish that they've permanently stopped reproducing with them.

Plants pop up weird traits all the time. Dwarfing for example. Variegation for another. Those aren't speciation events.

CoolBonsais

Seedling
Reaction score
So, these plants would be categorized as Ficus Aurea “cultivar name”?

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
So, these plants would be categorized as Ficus Aurea “cultivar name”?

Yes, cultivar names are in single quotes. Color is not a conservative taxonomic trait, a new species would have to differ in flower structure to get a new species name. So at best this could be a cultivar. But if the color fades in a couple months, it might not even be considered different enough to be worth the effort to register this with RHS at Kew, or other plant groups as a cultivar. Many plants will express red pigments for a brief period of time due to excess nitrogen in their tissues. It can be very temporary. Also sun burn can cause expression of red pigments. Your photos look like normal healthy display of color, could be high N, or could be a cultivar that expresses pigment.

See if cuttings of your Ficus Aurea continue to produce this red pigment, actually it is a purple anthocyanin pigment.

As to the differences between palmieri and petiolaris, color IS NOT the significant difference. One needs to read the botanical description. There are differences in the synconia (flower & fruit) structure. There are other taxonomic differences and Palmieri is native to Baja peninsula and petiolaris is native to Oaxaca, Mexico. Structure of synconia and place of origin are the differences that separate ficus species.

They are believed to be pollinated by different wasps. Reproductively isolated.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
In horticulture, it is "okay" to use "short cuts" like the red pigments to make a guess whether your are looking at petiolaris versus palmeri, as long as you remember color can be misleading, sometimes leading to the "wrong guess".

So with or without red veins, its is Ficus aurea. And it might be possible to encounter a true petiolaris that lacks red pigments. It is structure of flower and fruit that defines a species, not color.

CoolBonsais

Seedling
Reaction score
When I discovered this cultivar, I thought the tree could have a deficiency of nitrogen or something. I took cuttings and the new leaves are green for a day, then they turn red. The red color fades into a pink on older leaves but generally lasts about 2 months.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
To be honest, this looks like pretty typical ficus pigmentation. New growth on many species is red to reddish...

CoolBonsais

Seedling
Reaction score
In horticulture, it is "okay" to use "short cuts" like the red pigments to make a guess whether your are looking at petiolaris versus palmeri, as long as you remember color can be misleading, sometimes leading to the "wrong guess".

So with or without red veins, its is Ficus aurea. And it might be possible to encounter a true petiolaris that lacks red pigments. It is structure of flower and fruit that defines a species, not color.
So this plant would be considered a new cultivar? The red veined fittonia could be an example on this trait.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I'm not familiar with fittonia.

For it to be a new cultivar, you need to show that it is different. Find the original botanical description of Ficus aurea, see if color is mentioned. Check the RHS website. Check species descriptions on Figweb. Find out if what you are seeing is unusual or common. Also contact people with Ficus experience. I've included some links for you to explore. Figweb is a taxonomy resource, as is the. RHS. Msrie Selby is a Botanic Garden with some taxonomic resources. Wigerts is a commercial Bonsai nursery which might know something about Ficus aurea, just ask them.

CoolBonsais

Seedling
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with fittonia.

For it to be a new cultivar, you need to show that it is different. Find the original botanical description of Ficus aurea, see if color is mentioned. Check the RHS website. Check species descriptions on Figweb. Find out if what you are seeing is unusual or common. Also contact people with Ficus experience. I've included some links for you to explore. Figweb is a taxonomy resource, as is the. RHS. Msrie Selby is a Botanic Garden with some taxonomic resources. Wigerts is a commercial Bonsai nursery which might know something about Ficus aurea, just ask them.

There are no descriptions of this pigmentation. All descriptions and images show regular leaves. How can I submit and name this cultivar?

yashu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4/5
Last edited:
Top Bottom