New Field Maple

augustine

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
You can always "pad" your wires with something like cut up rubber inner tubes, plastic hose, similar material to protect the roots (or branches) against wire pressure.

ColinFraser

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
All kidding aside, most of the trunk really does lack interest. I would seriously consider chopping it much lower . . . No, lower.
The base has potential, and you could go several routes - the fastest one might be to use those two lowest branches for something broom-ish like this:

508153429.072173public.jpeg

Though you could certainly regrow some trunk sections for a tapered informal upright too.

I'm developing one too; check it out if you haven't yet: Liquidambar orientalis - SweetGum

thomas22

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
All kidding aside, most of the trunk really does lack interest. I would seriously consider chopping it much lower . . . No, lower.
The base has potential, and you could go several routes - the fastest one might be to use those two lowest branches for something broom-ish like this:

View attachment 131209

Though you could certainly regrow some trunk sections for a tapered informal upright too.

I'm developing one too; check it out if you haven't yet: Liquidambar orientalis - SweetGum

I like the way yours is coming along. I really like the air layered portion.
Pertaining to you vert. I have given this option much thought and it is a good option. There are two branches there in the exact spots you chopped and drew new leaders so it would be doable. But! I like my option a bit better and not just because it is easier quicker.
Here are a couple of verts so you can see my vision. Not sure about exactly how the twin trunk will tie in yet but you can see the height and overall shape I am going for.
Sweet gum vert3.jpg Sweet gum vert2.jpg

ColinFraser

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I like the way yours is coming along. I really like the air layered portion.
Pertaining to you vert. I have given this option much thought and it is a good option. There are two branches there in the exact spots you chopped and drew new leaders so it would be doable. But! I like my option a bit better and not just because it is easier quicker.
Here are a couple of verts so you can see my vision. Not sure about exactly how the twin trunk will tie in yet but you can see the height and overall shape I am going for.
View attachment 131252 View attachment 131253
Cool.
Interestingly, I think our virtuals highlight our different priorities nicely. You made yours with foliage, and I left mine without. Foliage can hide a multitude of sins in a pine or a juniper, but a tree that's laid bare every year has no secrets. I think in that state, a telephone pole of a trunk is a liability, but that is simply an aesthetic point on which we disagree - thank goodness that's allowed here ;)
Thanks for keeping the thread updated; I'll look forward to its progress.

thomas22

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Cool.
Interestingly, I think our virtuals highlight our different priorities nicely. You made yours with foliage, and I left mine without. Foliage can hide a multitude of sins in a pine or a juniper, but a tree that's laid bare every year has no secrets. I think in that state, a telephone pole of a trunk is a liability, but that is simply an aesthetic point on which we disagree - thank goodness that's allowed here ;)
Thanks for keeping the thread updated; I'll look forward to its progress.

Your vert just had a shorter telephone pole. Ha Ha. Thanks for you input. It does have merit. The funny thing this tree was never bare this year.

thomas22

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Update. Still not a Field Maple. Wired a few months ago. It leafed out so quickly. Not sure about final image but having fun with this tree. Suggestions welcome.

Attachments

• 20200103_145333.jpg
    20200103_145333.jpg
    238.9 KB · Views: 36
  • 20200225_175926.jpg
    20200225_175926.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 36
Top Bottom