New Forum?????

DougB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
An essential part of art of modern bonsai is the ability to take photographs. Photos are needed to track progress, evaluate, post on forums, etc. Because it is so essential perhaps Bonsai Nut should add a new forum -- Photography.

What do you think?

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I would be hip to that, I need all the help I can get with photography!

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
There already is a quite long thread on that topic that's been added to recently, I noticed. http://bonsainut.com/index.php?threads/just-a-tip-on-bonsai-photography.14817/page-3#post-242761

Dunno if there's enough to say about tree photography to have it have its own little home. A simple Google search for "still life Photography" will find LOTS of very relevant info on the subject. Our trees are no different than a vase of flowers or a display of fruit to the camera.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This kinda falls into the "just do it" catagory.

once again.....

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
An essential part of art of modern bonsai is the ability to take photographs. Photos are needed to track progress, evaluate, post on forums, etc. Because it is so essential perhaps Bonsai Nut should add a new forum -- Photography.

What do you think?
I hate to say it but to me photography isn't an essential part of bonsai. I always forget to take pictures.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Well, I do see photography as an important element of bonsai. Why?
1. I have a horrible memory. If I do root work, and don't see the roots for 2-3 years, photos are a great reminder of what I was working with or trying to accomplish during the last repot.

2. Trees change slowly, but if you look at an annual photo over the course of 5 years, it's very enlightening as to what's happening over time. This helps provide an accurate appraisal of what can be expected over the next 5 years, and how to get there.

3. Since they change slowly, annual photos offer a sense of accomplishment within an inches-and-years hobby.

4. Bonsai aren't especially portable, so I rely heavily on studying photos of good trees as I work on my own trees. A quick Google search makes it easy to see trees from around the world. It would take a ton of effort and money to get to each of those collections to study.

5. Pictures are worth a thousand words. I tend to skip over threads requesting help, but fail to include photos. Unless it's to chuckle at the responses that are often little more than stumbling around in the dark.

Regarding your OP, Max did offer a good thread, I recently wrote a post on the topic as well. What additional information would you envision/want to see in a photography forum? Truly not a bad idea...good bonsai photography is important, IMO.

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Personally I don't see the need for an entire forum section dedicated to photography because there aren't really enough threads to warrant it.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think Max's thread on photos could be all we need. Folks could add to it.
Water Pall takes great photos.

Now, if someone could come up with a reminder.......especially when in the roots, that would be helpful.

Sorce

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Here is what I use for taking pics during tree work... http://www.ebay.com/itm/Monoprice-9...935?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5b089f273f 4 bucks... just place the camera on a tripod a take pics...

I will try this weekend to do a tutorial, similar to BVF but oriented on the light on how to use the sun and a basic reflector (white cardboard, tshirt, bedsheet, foam...) and a point and shoot camera. If you want to check on perspective go to his link https://nebaribonsai.wordpress.com/2015/01/03/how-i-photograph-bonsai/

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Here is what I use for taking pics during tree work... http://www.ebay.com/itm/Monoprice-9...935?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5b089f273f 4 bucks... just place the camera on a tripod a take pics...

I will try this weekend to do a tutorial, similar to BVF but oriented on the light on how to use the sun and a basic reflector (white cardboard, tshirt, bedsheet, foam...) and a point and shoot camera. If you want to check on perspective go to his link https://nebaribonsai.wordpress.com/2015/01/03/how-i-photograph-bonsai/

That would be nice. Then others of us can add to it. I have a degree in photojournalism -- from WAAAAAAY previous to the digicam era, but still. There are only so many ways to set up and light a still life picture.

The two most important factors:

You need to think about background and background color in relation to the color(s) of the subject.

You need to determine how (and how many) light(s) to use, and where they should be placed. (And there's always ambient light -- often the best.)

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
That would be nice. Then others of us can add to it. I have a degree in photojournalism -- from WAAAAAAY previous to the digicam era, but still. There are only so many ways to set up and light a still life picture.

The two most important factors:

You need to think about background and background color in relation to the color(s) of the subject.

You need to determine how (and how many) light(s) to use, and where they should be placed. (And there's always ambient light -- often the best.)
JKL, I am thinking on doing it with whatever people have available... a camera, the sun and something white. More complicated than that makes it unusable for most... I usually use 4 flashes for tree photography, but it will imposible to ask people to buy 4 lights and set them up.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Ha, try protographing koi!

(admittadly, capturing the essence of a bonsai is difficult)

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I've gotta say... looking at koi pics online... besides most of them sucking really badly... it must be really hard!! I would go for a waterproof casing for a camera.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Here's what I would recommend. Write an article on it. You can post it in our resources section, people can comment, you can update or edit it, and it becomes a lasting resource that people will refer to... instead of a thread that will be hard to find a year from now.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I dont think we need an entire board for it, but I do think it is important.

A list /description of tips on how to take better picture of trees in the resource section would be a good idea though.

Top Bottom