New Fujian Tea -came severe cold damage

roojchan

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hello all,

I ordered a Fujian Tea tree and when it arrived it looked just about dead. (at the base there are a couple of leaves that are still green, which is why i am posting. I am going to assume for hte most part it is dead. But if there is any chance of recovery, what should i do? I am putting it with southern exposure and putting a grow light on it. I won't move it and won't water other than misting. (the soil is still pretty moist. Should i cut all the dead leaves and branches? Any other tips?

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hello all,

I ordered a Fujian Tea tree and when it arrived it looked just about dead. (at the base there are a couple of leaves that are still green, which is why i am posting. I am going to assume for hte most part it is dead. But if there is any chance of recovery, what should i do? I am putting it with southern exposure and putting a grow light on it. I won't move it and won't water other than misting. (the soil is still pretty moist. Should i cut all the dead leaves and branches? Any other tips?

I would just leave it be where you have it except to water it when it needs it (when the soil is almost dry) and hope it recovers.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
If it is dead, I would request a refund from the vendor. This isn't exactly the best time to get a tropical shipped. Did they include a heat pack? Please add your geographical location to your profile, so we know your climate.

roojchan

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks i contaced the vendor and they agreed to a replacement but i won't be asking for it to be shipped until the weather is better. ( i live in Minneapolis).

THanks all.

roojchan

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
i have seen quite a few people suggest to not go with the fujian and instead try for the ficus- i was hoping that using a plant bulb and being conscientious would be enough, but if people feel strongly that it is not a good idea, i do have time to rethink things!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
i have seen quite a few people suggest to not go with the fujian and instead try for the ficus- i was hoping that using a plant bulb and being conscientious would be enough, but if people feel strongly that it is not a good idea, i do have time to rethink things!
Ficus definitely is easier to keep alive than f. tea is, and easier to bend.
But f. tea has smaller leaves and small white flowers
Buy both? 😆

roojchan

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
what are the most common mistakes with the tea? temperature? light? water?

Top Bottom