New Gardenia

ml_work

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have been holding off an the purchase of any new Tropical trees, running out of space in the sun room to bring in for winter and the extra work to water inside. Yesterday I went to Marvin's and saw this "Gardenia Grafted Miami Supreme" for $19.00. I looked last night and saw it listed as everygreen and the Tropical...which is it? Will it be able to stay outside in Alabama?
It was with the other Gardenia but all had the small "bush" limbs, this one got my attention because ot the trunk size. I picked it up today and looking closer I see it is grafted, the lower trunk has 1 small branch starting that looks like the same leaf as the top so I "guess" the bottom is Gardenia too?
I plan to cut the top out leaving a few inches of the branches to work with to from a "broom" top. I figure make the cut now? leave in the post through next growing season...? Will this make a nice bonsai or should I return it before I cut?

Thanks for any ideas
Michael

Attachments

• Nov07_0001.jpg
    Nov07_0001.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 80
  • Nov07_0002.jpg
    Nov07_0002.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 69

noissee

Mame
Reaction score
Keep it out of frost. I just put mine on the ground under some trees usually. However, if it gets below ~35 I either cover it with a blanket or take it in the garage.
Yours is the larger leaf variety. I have only had these as big yard bushes (we cover those with blankets below 33), but I do have a couple of the small leaved ones as bonsai. They do very well. I wouldn't see any reason why you couldn't pull off a broom style with yours. They back bud very well.

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
Why a Gardenia for a bonsai, my wife raises them as potted plants for the summer, then we buy some more for the next summer.

keep it green,
Harry

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I'm not sure of the variety of the one we have in the yard, but it survived 3-4 days w/ lows in the teens either last year or the year before. Its a landscaping plant and gets no special attention throughout the winter.

I had 2 as potted plants that needed no special protection either (from frost or low temps).

ml_work

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for the replies. I did notice mine has large leaves, as the ones I had seen as bonsai were small leaves. I thought maybe the leaves would stunt back smaller over time, but after reading it seems to be different kinds. With your feedback, I think it will make it outside under the trees this winter if I take care during a hard freeze. I am going to give it a try.
Have a Great Day!
Michael

ml_work

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I plan to cut the top back to just a few of the original limbs. Can I do this now or wait until spring?
Thanks,
Michael

Top Bottom