New ginseng ficus

bzb12345

Seedling
Reaction score
My mother bought me this "mallsai" as a birthday present (I think from Stop&Shop) two days ago and I kind of need help with styling it since it's pretty ugly right now. It's about 14 inches tall.
Also I think it has powdery mildew? I noticed it yesterday afternoon and by this morning it already spread to other leaves. I looked up how to treat it but I don't know which method other people recommend and won't harm it.
The soil is trash potting soil so I obviously need to repot it. The root are slightly visible from the drainage holes.
Thank you!
IMG_4795.JPGIMG_4796.JPGIMG_4797.JPGIMG_4798.JPGIMG_4800.JPGIMG_4801.JPGIMG_4803.JPGIMG_4805.JPGIMG_4807.JPGIMG_4808.JPG

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks like hard water stains not powdery mildew on the living leaves. The brown should be investigated but the tree looks healthy.

Just regular nature going on with them leaves in the soil.

"Trash" potting soil....

Sometimes these trees are healthy, then recently thrown into pots with some new soil that could be considered trash, and they die due to it...

But it seems this one, and most, have been growing fine and superbly healthy in the soil they are in...and the only thing that changes is our location(greenhouse or not), our watering practices(also greenhouse affected), and our pruning hands!

Thats the real reason they die...or the soil is "trash".

I'd layer the graft off this. They do fine on their own roots.

Sorce

bzb12345

Seedling
Reaction score
Looks like hard water stains not powdery mildew on the living leaves.
Okay, that's good to hear, but the white stains appear to be increasing in number and size? If they are hard water stains will they wash off?

Sometimes these trees are healthy, then recently thrown into pots with some new soil that could be considered trash, and they die due to it...

But it seems this one, and most, have been growing fine and superbly healthy in the soil they are in
My mother would never buy a dying plant ;)

When I airlayer the graft do I cut over the ginseng part and layer that as well or only the graft (pink or yellow)?
IMG_4802.JPG

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If they are hard water stains will they wash off?

Sure! But come back
increasing in number and size
lol!
If washed with more hard water!
(Hard water/ chem fert water)

Ditch the graft!

You can cut both these branches and connect the holes as a girdle...and get a nice angled layer for a trunk that exits the soil at an angle....instant interest!
2018-04-25-04-56-46.jpg

Sorce

GailC

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
The round white spots on the underside of the leaves don't really look like water spots to me. I would treat for mildew just to be on the safe side, I've lost too many plans to it.

I like copper based fungal sprays. One treatment usually gets all the mildew.

bzb12345

Seedling
Reaction score
You can cut both these branches and connect the holes as a girdle...and get a nice angled layer for a trunk that exits the soil at an angle....instant interest!
View attachment 188865
Sorce

Hmm... that sounds quite interesting! Could this cut possibly lead to an upright informal?
I will also be getting some bonsai stuff tomorrow (soil, sifting screens, tools, etc) so would it be a good idea to repot the focus or just airlayer it now?

The round white spots on the underside of the leaves don't really look like water spots to me. I would treat for mildew just to be on the safe side, I've lost too many plans to it.

I like copper based fungal sprays. One treatment usually gets all the mildew.

My city's water is pretty neutral so I was able to simply wipe the stains off. They haven't come back since so I guess the tree is fine? Thank you for the tips and product recommendation though! I'm sure it will come in handy one day.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Layer it!

Sorce

Top Bottom