New Golden Gate Ficus

Reaction score
Hello all,

I recently acquired this golden gate ficus that I'm pretty excited about. My first bonsai was a serissa that I had for 3 years, so I have some (very limited) experience. I had a few questions about this tree and would love some input.

b1.jpg

There is a branch growing downward into the soil. I'm
wondering, if and when (and how) is the best way to deal with this. If I remove it, where should I cut? At the
trunk, or at the soil?
Any input from anyone would be appreciated, even if it general knowledge about the species.

Thanks again!

A

ColinFraser

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Hello, and welcome :)

What you describe as a downward growing branch is probably an aerial root; they are fairly common in ficus.

I believe 'Golden Gate' is a variety of the species Ficus microcarpa. I grow them outdoors in California, but if you update your profile to include your general location, you might be able to get specific tips from members in your region . . .

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It would be nice to see the whole tree too!.

I personally, have a hard time enjoying a tree with aerial roots unless they flow nicely, and are done well.

I don't like when they cross branches, bulge a lot at the top, and if they cross each other, it should be tidy.

You may be able to pin yours to the trunk, to help it grow more.

You need those low branches so don't cut them off!

Welcome to Crazy.

Sorce

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Here's an image of the entire tree, you can see the aerial root on the lower right side. When I gently push to the left or right, there is very little play, so pinning it to the trunk may not be a possibility for me. I'm located in Massachusetts, so this will be grown indoors, I've just received it, so I was planning on letting it settle in for a while before attempting to do anything to it. The tree is about 15 yrs old and about 21" tall from the top of the pot to the highest foliage.

Thanks for all the advice!

b2.jpg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
When you repot. Probly next year.

You may be able to tease it out, gaining enough play to get it in more.

You can spread out the remaining ends near the surface to enhance your nebari on that side.

Option 2, grow another on the left, or all over, but that takes a while.

The one I got, I just put it outside and it's real happy!

If you can put it out in summer, do.
Out over 50. In under fifty.
One move a season is best IMO.

Sorce

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
You pictures are very tiny, i tryed to click on them multiple times, ohyeah and welcome.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I'd remove the root, it's only going to cause that area to swell and create reverse taper.

Alain

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I can't see your picture, just a b2.jpg signature to your post...

Anyway:
- put the little guy outside and let it there until your reach 50. Even then you can put it inside at night but bring it back outside during the day (as long as the day is over 50).
- normal that you can't play with the aerial root for the moment: it's in the soil :) (well the part with the feeders is)

That's basically all as I can't see the tree. Something that sounds clear however - just with the 1st picture - is that the branches seem really weirdly disposed and also that their sizes seem kind of randomly organized, and not in a good way (i.e. seems like some of the top are huge while some on the bottom are tiny) you will certainly have to work on that.
But as Vance Wood said the other day: 'if you don't work on your tree then it's not a bonsai, it's a plant in a pot, you'd rather get an African violet then' :)

Anyway welcome! (and put Massachusetts in your profile's location please, old farts like me won't remember for long that you live there ;) )

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Hi guys,

Here's an image of the entire tree, you can see the aerial root on the lower right side. When I gently push to the left or right, there is very little play, so pinning it to the trunk may not be a possibility for me. I'm located in Massachusetts, so this will be grown indoors, I've just received it, so I was planning on letting it settle in for a while before attempting to do anything to it. The tree is about 15 yrs old and about 21" tall from the top of the pot to the highest foliage.

Thanks for all the advice!

View attachment 80446

That is a awesome ficus

Alain

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I'd remove the root, it's only going to cause that area to swell and create reverse taper.

Furthermore I think that aerial roots are fun when they are roots, not when it is root... :) (personal opinion)

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Id chop it above the branch above the Ariel root.

Then I think you got something, or 2 things even, to work with.

Sorce

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
What you have is not a golden gate ficus but it's a ficus retusa "tiger bark"

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't do indoors. But if you kept one of those Serissa alive for 3 years you are doing better than most of us. I had one that I killed off in 3 months.

Top Bottom