New Greenhouse Completed

BrierPatch

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Here's a new greenhouse I built just before XMAS and before our first snow. All the 2x4's (and most fence boards for the back) for the framing were from scrap wood I collected for free over a couple months from a fence company, that save a lot of money.
It's not huge at 6'x3'x7' but works great for the space and what I needed.

Attachments

• Greenhouse_20211214.jpg
    Greenhouse_20211214.jpg
    274 KB · Views: 231
  • Greenhouse_Snow_20211227.jpg
    Greenhouse_Snow_20211227.jpg
    259 KB · Views: 226
  • Greenhouse_20211230.jpg
    Greenhouse_20211230.jpg
    247.4 KB · Views: 231

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Wow that looks great!!!

What material did you use for the sides? (The clear plastic).

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Great job! That's a lot of snow for being in zone 8B.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Nice and tight little building. Only thing that looks problematic is the spaces between the corrugating and the wood, did you fill that in some way?

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I would love to have that, great job.

BrierPatch

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nice and tight little building. Only thing that looks problematic is the spaces between the corrugating and the wood, did you fill that in some way?
Thanks everyone!

Hi @JudyB , If you're talking about the front around the door and top / bottom of corrugated walls, yes everything was sealed with clear silicone if there were any open spaces. I took this picture before I completed the rest of the screws around the door since I ran out but that was completed also.

@Fonz Yes, we had about 6" fall here and was down in the teens. Seems to be a thing now since we have been getting good snow fall every year for the past few years.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks everyone!

Hi @JudyB , If you're talking about the front around the door and top / bottom of corrugated walls, yes everything was sealed with clear silicone if there were any open spaces. I took this picture before I completed the rest of the screws around the door since I ran out but that was completed also.

@Fonz Yes, we had about 6" fall here and was down in the teens. Seems to be a thing now since we have been getting good snow fall every year for the past few years.
Took a closer look at your photos and now I see that there is a white piece under the corrugating where you attach to the wood, I was thinking there would be a void space at each corrugation “hump”. Very nice.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think it's beautiful but a beautiful tool can be decieving.
A beautiful knife can still cut a finger off.
I say this to keep you safe from the deciet.

I think mostly because of this ...
works great

Which, until you have been through each season, simply can not be a true statement yet.
I don't know to what level you believe this with yet, but even slightly enough to type, is enough to get you caught in the trap of self deception, which is greatly enhanced by things of beauty, especially that we built wisely with our own hands.

For me, this falls more in the realm of wanting something beautiful than something you need as a tool that a greenhouse essentially is.

What I see there, in 8B, with snow cover, has absolutely no need for this tool.

It then becomes more of a problem itself than a fix.

As a tool, what problems is it fixing?

The problems it is creating for me are these....

"Ice forms on bridges first".
Elevated, your trees will be introduced to more freeze thaw cycles than if on the ground. This is a much greater problem than getting solid once because of the expansion and contraction of the soil repeatedly, more friction, more root damage.

The enclosed heat of the sun adds to that problem and creates its own new problems when it comes to what the top is "reading" as nice weather come spring. Without added bottom heat to keep the spring "read" correct, roots will be subjected to another possible freeze.

That's just a small list of horticulture problems...these are "cloaks of confusion" that begin the entire season with inherent guesswork with no possible way to find correct answers.

The direct physical problem I always have concern with in these covered winter situations which was entirely vindicated for me last year, is this very real threat of the unit becoming so encased with snow and ice, you can not physically reach them. Then they dry and die.

People have heart attacks all the time from shoveling snow, it's no joke. Add on somebych that is trying to chip through 6 inches of ice that's blocking the door after that, all of a sudden we are dying to keep are trees from dying.

I don't think it's useless, I just think it's beauty makes us think it's a better tool for bonsai than it really is.

Chicken Coop.

Sorce

Scorpius

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b

Which, until you have been through each season, simply can not be a true statement yet.
I don't know to what level you believe this with yet, but even slightly enough to type, is enough to get you caught in the trap of self deception, which is greatly enhanced by things of beauty, especially that we built wisely with our own hands.

For me, this falls more in the realm of wanting something beautiful than something you need as a tool that a greenhouse essentially is.

Elevated, your trees will be introduced to more freeze thaw cycles than if on the ground. This is a much greater problem than getting solid once because of the expansion and contraction of the soil repeatedly, more friction, more root damage.

The enclosed heat of the sun adds to that problem and creates its own new problems when it comes to what the top is "reading" as nice weather come spring. Without added bottom heat to keep the spring "read" correct, roots will be subjected to another possible freeze.

That's just a small list of horticulture problems...these are "cloaks of confusion" that begin the entire season with inherent guesswork with no possible way to find correct answers.

The direct physical problem I always have concern with in these covered winter situations which was entirely vindicated for me last year, is this very real threat of the unit becoming so encased with snow and ice, you can not physically reach them. Then they dry and die.

People have heart attacks all the time from shoveling snow, it's no joke. Add on somebych that is trying to chip through 6 inches of ice that's blocking the door after that, all of a sudden we are dying to keep are trees from dying.

I don't think it's useless, I just think it's beauty makes us think it's a better tool for bonsai than it really is.

Chicken Coop.

Sorce
You okay there?

BrierPatch

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

Chicken Coop.

Sorce
Thanks for the great insight and assuming all my intentions and plans. But when I'm laying on the ground having my heart attack from chipping away at ice, my last words will be, Damn Sorce told me so, shoulda got those chickens my wife wanted.
BTW I overwinter most all my plants on the ground outside.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hi @BrierPatch

Can you give us an update on the usage and survival of the plants in the greenhouse addition here?

Did you heat, ventilation drainage… what can be improved, done differently etc
….?

Cheers
DSD sends

BrierPatch

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hi @BrierPatch

Can you give us an update on the usage and survival of the plants in the greenhouse addition here?

Did you heat, ventilation drainage… what can be improved, done differently etc
….?

Cheers
DSD sends

Good Day @Deep Sea Diver ,

The Greenhouse did great on starting all my seedlings. Had about 200 Japanese Maples sprout (see pics below) and tested out a few other plant cuttings of misc. plants like some hinoki trees that are doing well but so slow growing, 1 of about 10 Crepe Myrtle cuttings took and some Azalea did pretty well.

For the greenhouse I have a gravel floor so drainage is good, had vents but I added a Hurricane Inline fan to draw heat out for hot spring days. Also added some heat mats for the seedlings once they started sprouting. I added a shade cover but still most everything was removed for Summer since it would just get too hot.

Thanks-
BP

Attachments

• acer-palmatum-sprouting-20220225-day122.jpg
    acer-palmatum-sprouting-20220225-day122.jpg
    196 KB · Views: 36
  • AP-Maple-Seedlings-20220901-1.jpg
    AP-Maple-Seedlings-20220901-1.jpg
    308 KB · Views: 27
  • AP-Maple-Seedlings-20220901-2.jpg
    AP-Maple-Seedlings-20220901-2.jpg
    237 KB · Views: 33