New Greenmound juniper

L. Gayler

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
IMG_20121024_171836.jpgIMG_20121024_171836.jpgIMG_20121024_171855.jpgIMG_20121024_171928.jpgI just bought a Greenmound juniper at the local Lowes store. It came in a 2.5 gallon pot. I cut down the pot so that I could see the inside of the tree. It seems to have a decent trunk, but is so overgrown that I can't see the roots. The soil looks pretty crappy and it was bone dry. I watered it but the pot doesn't seem to have drain holes.
Should I go ahead and repot it or should I wait until winter's over? Also should I try to trim it up or wait on that too? I live in zone 8b. Right now we're having cool nights and warm days. Usually our 1st freeze is around December or January. One pic shows part of the inside that is split.
Any and all advice is appreciated. Thank you for taking time to help me.
IMG_20121024_172920.jpg

Last edited:

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
If the pot has no drainage (I've never seen an HD plant in a pot without drainage), you MUST repot now. It's easiest to find a larger pot and simply slip pot it, though it is distinctly possible to repot into a smaller pot at this time of year.

L. Gayler

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
pot drains

I did manage to find 2small holes in the bottom of the pot.:eek:. But when I watered it nothing came thru, and I used a quarter gallon of water.
So could I slip pot it so I can look at the roots? Thanks for your reply.

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
You can definitely slip pot it- but I'd probably do a real repotting and reduce the root ball as well.

Top Bottom