New Growth falling off.

junmilo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Won't do much of anything for a deciduous tree. There are endo and ecto types of myc. Some trees use either, some use both. Some don't use it at all. Best way to get the "right" kind is wait a couple of months. It will show up on its own.

Well I just repotted them all. In two of the trees, I saw new roots (ALOT of them almost full)...one of the tree I didn't see any...going to water them good and leave them outside and hope for the best.

junmilo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Won't do much of anything for a deciduous tree. There are endo and ecto types of myc. Some trees use either, some use both. Some don't use it at all. Best way to get the "right" kind is wait a couple of months. It will show up on its own.

Here are the photos of the repot.

This one almost died at the beginning...as advised by some of you, I put it in a humid place, these were the new shoots it pushed out and when I reported this one, it had the greatest amount of new roots...new roots were everywhere. This is a white flowering ume.
IMG_20180516_1710323.jpg

These two were the other two...the larger one had some new roots...the smaller one had very little new root growth.
The larger one (not sure what color flower), the little one is a dark Pink flowering ume.

IMG_20180516_1710398.jpg

junmilo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
so some update. The little guy out of the three don't look good. Any chance I can save it? See photo....the strong wind has blown off most of its leaves...only the top remains....I brought it in put it under a T5 growing light....i know it needs real sun....just scared that these last few will be blown off too.

The humidity is around 53%....room temperature is 25C. Would root stimulator give it a boost? Or leave it be...

IMG_20180519_2046437.jpg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You’re likely seeing the problems with trying to keep something alive that won’t thrive in your zone.

Thrive being the key word NECESSARY for bonsai.

This is exactly the situation I have been preaching about proper greenhouses for.

Nothing against your efforts @junmilo ..
I'm not going to deny the attractiveness of these species.

But I wholly believe your $ time and efforts can be better spent on more native species...like the Elaeagnus species for flower and berry interest...

See https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/local-species-awareness-program.20231/

Time for a bump for Canada!

There ARE people here with these Proper Unfailing Greenhouses and systems.
A few threads.
These can be replicated and can be successful but anything less than 100% is a waste of time.

Sorce

junmilo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thrive being the key word NECESSARY for bonsai.

This is exactly the situation I have been preaching about proper greenhouses for.

Nothing against your efforts @junmilo ..
I'm not going to deny the attractiveness of these species.

But I wholly believe your $ time and efforts can be better spent on more native species...like the Elaeagnus species for flower and berry interest...

See https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/local-species-awareness-program.20231/

Time for a bump for Canada!

There ARE people here with these Proper Unfailing Greenhouses and systems.
A few threads.
These can be replicated and can be successful but anything less than 100% is a waste of time.

Sorce

Hi Sorce,

Totally understand and I do know couple of people who are currently keeping them here in Canada.

When I read books about these, it was my understanding that their hardiness zone is between USDA zone 10 to 6. I live in the zone 7 area up here.

Also, the greenhouse system you mentioned (I have seen up here) the person that I know is living in a zone 4 area.

On a side note, I am also keeping Chimonanthus praecox (Wintersweets)...it has the same USDA zoning..and they are thriving...so ya....

I believe there maybe other issues here...maybe...either way, going to do my best..

Junmilo.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I believe there maybe other issues here...maybe...either way, going to do my best..
Was it ever outside?
Or has it been inside the whole time?
You seem to rely on those lights so I think inside.
If so that's the problem.
If it was outside all winter and it's losing new leaves it's roots are compromised. Probably from not draining well,sitting in muddy potting soil. If they had dried out over winter you wouldn't have leaves at all.
If you're zone 7 and the tree is 6 it should be fine all winter with proper protection.
I live in a cold zone 4. It's almost 3. I don't have a greenhouse to keep my trees in. Because a greenhouse is unnecessary.

junmilo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Was it ever outside?
Or has it been inside the whole time?
You seem to rely on those lights so I think inside.
If so that's the problem.
If it was outside all winter and it's losing new leaves it's roots are compromised. Probably from not draining well,sitting in muddy potting soil. If they had dried out over winter you wouldn't have leaves at all.
If you're zone 7 and the tree is 6 it should be fine all winter with proper protection.
I live in a cold zone 4. It's almost 3. I don't have a greenhouse to keep my trees in. Because a greenhouse is unnecessary.

It was outside for a week after one of my previous post...during that time, the temperature fluctuated between freezing rain and upto 22C. Three of the nights there were wind gust to 50-70KM/hr...knocking down trees and uplifting shingles on most of the houses near my neighbourhood....so during that time, I brought them in.....

I bought these ume in Jan of this year from a person here in Canada...s/he told me that these were grown from a zone 8-9 area....maybe it's the change in environment that shocked the trees....the original soil they were in was mainly clay...so I reported them after they flowered...this is the 2nd repot this year after everyone telling me that peat moss/crushed rocks is a bad idea for soil.

Top Bottom